VCOM-Virginia vs. TouroCOM Middletown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousberry

Reaction score
TouroCOM Middletown
Pros
  • Great match rates and board scores
  • Great rotation sites
  • More affiliated hospitals
  • Short distance to NYC
  • Apparently they'll change their curriculum so it's more systems-based
  • Flipped classroom might suit my learning style and help prepare me for boards
Cons
  • Graded
  • Mandatory Attendance (however I heard classes are only Tues-Thurs)
  • Higher tuition and cost of living
VCOM-Virginia
Pros
  • Also decent match rates and board scores
  • Lower tuition and cost of living
  • Shares facilities with VTech's campus
  • Enjoyed my interview
Cons
  • I prefer TouroCOM's rotations over VCOM's, they have very few local affiliated rotations
  • Graded
  • Mandatory Attendance as well
  • Weekly exams (not sure if this is a con?)
  • Dress code though this doesn't bother me that much

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
FYI the Touro curriculum is not slated to change until Fall 2025 so keep that in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK - I did not know that! Thanks for the FYI. I don't know why I got the impression it would be an immediate change from my interview day.
They mentioned it in your interview day? Interesting, they didn’t mention it at all in my interview day. I have an A at the Harlem campus btw, but the curriculum change would be for all 3 campuses. I only knew about it because a current student on the curriculum board told me about it. TouroCOM faculty mentioned at my second look night that it is slated to change Fall 2025….

Reactions: 1 user
Currently deciding between these two schools but both seem pretty similar! Any insight is appreciated.

I'd recommend Touro. VCOM has a ridiculous rule where if you fail a class, you're automatically dismissed, so not worth the risk. I don't think Touro has that rule.

I'd recommend Touro. VCOM has a ridiculous rule where if you fail a class, you're automatically dismissed, so not worth the risk. I don't think Touro has that rule.
Cite your source.

Cost above all for DOs. 60k difference in loans before interest is big

Cite your source.
I mean I've heard this too.

But I just came to tell OP VCOM is a good school. I've worked with attendings from there (and I'm at an MD school)

I know nothing of Touro

Reactions: 1 user