Univ of Washington (Spokane) vs Thomas Jefferson vs UMiami

• Thread starter AnonymousCAresident
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

AnonymousCAresident

I'm currently waiting to hear back from Miami Miller. Money is not a huge factor. I'm interested in competitive specialty or IM subspecialty. If I don't get off the waitlist or get rejected to Miami Miller, I'll be attending Jefferson, but in a perfect world let's say I was accepted to all 3.

University of Washington - (Waitlist)
Pros:
-So many research opportunities
-P/F pre-clinicals
-Strong departments and perceived prestige
-West Coast best coast
-Closest to home and significant other

Cons:
-If I get off alternate list I'll probably be sent off to Spokane for my first 18 months, and I'm not too fond of a rural smaller location (kind of mitigates the lure of all the research opportunities hat UW Seattle offers)

Thomas Jefferson University (accepted)
Pros:
-Loved the interview day, student's seemed happy
-Center city Philly is bustling
-H/P/F

Cons:
-Not as much research, mid-tier ranking and prestige
-Although money isn't a huge factor, it is something to consider flying across the country from home and being 10-15K more expensive than the other two schools per year

University of Miami (Awaiting interview results)
Pros:
-Ryder Trauma, Jackson Memorial Hospital
-24 hour clinical volunteering in any department in health systems complex
-Clinical research opportunities are strong and bountiful
-Encountering patients other students read about in their textbooks

Cons:
-I'm not fluent in Spanish, may be difficult having to find a translator all the time with patient contact (could be a pro in brushing up my medical spanish tho)
-Hybrid pass/fail and numerical grades after exams aka not P/F at all
-Far from home

Summary: I think if I were accepted to all 3 schools I would choose U Miami, then UW Spokane then TJU at this moment. If I get into UW Seattle somehow then it would be my top choice. I know I can't go wrong with TJU though, so I feel very fortunate to have a solid school no matter what. I appreciate your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Just as a side note being on UW's waitlist doesn't mean you are going to Spokane...I know many current students who got off the waitlist and are in Seattle, or who got in the first possible day and were placed in the Spokane Foundations site. Not sure where you got that idea from.

Also although Eastern WA in general has more rural areas than Seattle area and Western WA, Spokane is the second biggest city in Washington by population so it's not like you'd be taking classes in the middle of nowhere with no opportunities around. Lastly, many of the Spokane students do their I.I.I. (summer research project) in Seattle, and you could also contact Seattle faculty to do clinical projects with them, unless of course you wanted to specifically do a bench research project during the school year in Seattle.