The Republic of Texas XLII: You Don't Just Move Into Texas, It Moves Into You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This year JAMP matches with us on regular match day I believe
I know nada about JAMP. I find it to be one of the most elusive things to try to look up on TMDSAS/ THES :caution:
I just tried searching and all the info is outdated from 2021. @texasvandy I remember JAMP applicants having their interviews early, & finding out results in October the last couple of years.

Finally found a landing page and it appears they have changed their timeline quite a bit compared to prior years:
Applying to JAMP

However, apparently there will be a live presentation about JAMP coming up October 11 on YouTube.
Tune in to find things out! JAMP Application Office Hours

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know nada about JAMP. I find it to be one of the most elusive things to try to look up on TMDSAS/ THES :caution:
I just tried searching and all the info is outdated from 2021. @texasvandy I remember JAMP applicants having their interviews early, & finding out results in October the last couple of years.

Finally found a landing page and it appears they have changed their timeline quite a bit compared to prior years:
Applying to JAMP

However, apparently there will be a live presentation about JAMP coming up October 11 on YouTube.
Tune in to find things out! JAMP Application Office Hours
@wysdoc -This may be admission to JAMP link for highschoolers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya there was a bunch of changes to JAMP this year! They allowed them multiple MCAT attempts and more freedom of when to take it. Some JAMP students still haven’t received their MCAT scores.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Ya there was a bunch of changes to JAMP this year! They allowed them multiple MCAT attempts and more freedom of when to take it. Some JAMP students still haven’t received their MCAT scores.
But they finished their interviews?

The JAMP people I know have finished most of their interviews, not sure if they have finished all though.
I am under the impression all JAMP people interview at different schools on specific dates..
If their results are coming on 15th but they haven't gotten MCAT results, did they get to have interviews?

I am under the impression all JAMP people interview at different schools on specific dates..
If their results are coming on 15th but they haven't gotten MCAT results, did they get to have interviews?

I can ask and get back to you on that.

GettyImages-517349536_54_990x660.jpg

Gather 'round, y'all!

Whatever excitement, fear, bravado, worry, confidence, denial, pride, doubt, or uncertainty is going through your mind right now, these feelings are all normal!

Sunday, October 15th, is the first date that medical schools may release offers of admission.
If you are an applicant who has had the chance to interview by now, this could be you!
In Texas we call this the start of the "pre-match offer" period.
This year it runs from October 15, 2023 to January 31, 2024.

Getting a pre-match offer takes the pressure off you, as you now know you have a place at a medical school next year.
I hope you will take it with gratitude.

Remember that October 15th is the beginning, not the end, of chances to be accepted at med schools where you have interviewed, or will interview in the future. If you hear nothing tomorrow, your road is less certain right now, but still leads forward.

You may accept and hold any and all pre-match offers you get until February 2 (the deadline for ranking all the schools that interviewed you). We'll talk more about Match procedures in January.

So be proud if you've interviewed, get excited about prematches, and know that if you hear nothing you still have lots of chances to interview at more schools, or even to get an offer later in the year from one of the schools you've already seen!

wysdoc

p.s. See up there where it says "medical schools may release"? They may give out some news on October 15, but they don't have to.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users
will prematches be chronological? ie those who interview first might prematch on the first day and those who interview later might prematch in later batches? or does it not matter

will prematches be chronological? ie those who interview first might prematch on the first day and those who interview later might prematch in later batches? or does it not matter
Every school has their own method so we truthfully don't know. Schools periodically review their candidates and make offers that way. Past results have definitely suggested that you could interview later but prematch earlier than someone who interviewed earlier.

Everyone who interviewed in Texas has a shot until match day and may continue on waitlists (not all schools keep every one).

Who gets a prematch in which round is not a given. If you finished your interview, you are eligible for a prematch starting October 15th to February 2nd. If you are interviewing early november, you are eligible for a prematch starting in the round that happens after your interview. However someone may interview in August and get prematched in January too.

Reactions: 1 users
@wysdoc do you have any insight on how the process works for OOS applicants? I know we don't participate in match, but would schools potentially offer you on Match day?

Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc do you have any insight on how the process works for OOS applicants? I know we don't participate in match, but would schools potentially offer you on Match day?
For OOS applicants, the process works more like the AMCAS schools that do rolling admissions.
You are eligible to get an offer of admission any time after October 15th, until the time school orientation begins. You could hear news on our February Match Day, but more likely some other day.
Most of the TMDSAS schools take a little time after your interview date to discuss recent interviewees at a committee meeting, so if you interviewed very close to October 15th there may not be a decision on you for a while.
Towards the end of the application year (April) you might start getting reminders to narrow down your decisions if you have been accepted by more than one school. TMDSAS schools might not insist that you use the CYMS tool (an AMCAS product) but they will still have a deadline by which you must commit to their class, or not.
Last of all, a TMDSAS school can enroll no more than 10% OOS.
TCU is in Texas but is a private school and uses AMCAS. They have no in-state quotas or preferences.

Reactions: 2 users
In addition to what @wysdoc said related to the 10% OOS cap:

1. Baylor admits more than 10% (used to be 25% a decade or so ago but dwindled down to 12-15% recently since State keeps buying more seats from them).
2. Schools do fill the 10% but admit more when some who are admitted drop out. It is possible they admit more if they are playing the yield game and know how many they need to admit ahead of time.

In addition to what @wysdoc said related to the 10% OOS cap:

1. Baylor admits more than 10% (used to be 25% a decade or so ago but dwindled down to 12-15% recently since State keeps buying more seats from them).
2. Schools do fill the 10% but admit more when some who are admitted drop out. It is possible they admit more if they are playing the yield game and know how many they need to admit ahead of time.
I think this is correct but I will add that I think the TMDSAS schools keep a pretty close watch on the number of OOS offers, not offering "more" than 10% at any one moment.
If they have made an offer to an OOS person and that person withdraws or commits to a different school, they may fill that spot with another OOS person from a WL. But they may also fill that spot with a Texan.

I assume different schools are doing things differently based on accepted vs enrolled numbers from 2021 spreadsheet (may be it was the bad year for UTSW when they over admitted but dont know how the 36 got in). I think some are playing yield and some are favoring instate but I am only making assumptions based on totals admitted.

UTSW - 74 accepted 36 enrolled which exceeds the 10% (not sure how many OOS MD/PhDs who dont count towards 10% since they can admit everyone from OOS).
McGovern - 22 accepted but only 11 enrolled. The expectation is that when some didnt enroll the seats were given instate. This supposedly happens when people give up after May 1st deadline since there are still many Texans who interviewed but are not admitted.

Long - 53 accepted and 27 enrolled. This is quite close to what should be happening. Last year they had a lot more OOS students enrolled.

UTMB - 26 Accepted but only 7 enrolled - UTMB has a different problem since they pick OOS students who happen to be attractive to other Texas schools who also more than likely offer them instate tuition while UTMB does not offer instate to all OOS students. It is a 45k difference over 4 years but it does make a difference.

Baylor being a private school can do things a little more differently. 77 admitted and 30 enrolled and this was when the class size was 177 without Temple campus.

Last edited:
I assume different schools are doing things differently based on accepted vs enrolled numbers from 2021 spreadsheet (may be it was the bad year for UTSW when they over admitted but dont know how the 36 got in). I think some are playing yield and some are favoring instate but I am only making assumptions based on totals admitted.

UTSW - 74 accepted 36 enrolled which exceeds the 10% (not sure how many OOS MD/PhDs who dont count towards 10% since they can admit everyone from OOS).
McGovern - 22 accepted but only 11 enrolled. The expectation is that when some didnt enroll the seats were given instate. This supposedly happens when people give up after May 1st deadline since there are still many Texans who interviewed but are not admitted.

Long - 53 accepted and 27 enrolled. This is quite close to what should be happening. Last year they had a lot more OOS students enrolled.

UTMB - 26 Accepted but only 7 enrolled - UTMB has a different problem since they pick OOS students who happen to be attractive to other Texas schools who also more than likely offer them instate tuition while UTMB does not offer instate to all OOS students. It is a 45k difference over 4 years but it does make a difference.

Baylor being a private school can do things a little more differently. 77 admitted and 30 enrolled and this was when the class size was 177 without Temple campus.
Do you have a general list of schools that do or do not typically offer in-state tuition? I wasn't aware that was something they could do (other than just offering general financial aid).

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ TMDSAS first Pre-Match Offers! *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Some pre-match offers are being made this week. The first one reported by an SDN member was received at 6:15 AM Sunday, October 15.

I would love it if you share your news on the individual school threads, and I will post a timeline here over the next few weeks, just to show you when the first offers from each school went out. (I'm not going to update it with subsequent offers, the way I have done with the interview invites on the 2nd post of this Republic of Texas thread, here: #2 )

Congratulations! :soexcited:

Sunday, October 15
McGovern, 6:15 AM
Texas Tech Lubbock, 10:45 AM
UH Fertitta 5:50 PM

Monday, October 16
TCU 9:30 AM
UTSW 9:50 AM
UTRGV "AM"

TCOM 1:40 PM
A & M 2:23 PM

Tuesday, October 17
SHSU 9 AM
Texas Tech El Paso 10:50 AM
EnMed 2:10 PM

Thursday, October 19
Long

Tuesday, October 31
UT Tyler

Monday, November 13
Baylor

Friday, November 17
Dell 5 PM

Friday, December 15
UTMB 1:50 PM

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
6:15 AM?? I know that must’ve been the best morning of their life 🤣🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
If you do not receive a pre-match offer in the first round, does that mean you most likely have to wait until match day to receive an acceptance if you interviewed relatively early? Are later rounds of pre-matches reserved for people who have later interview dates?
They will keep comparing newly interviewed people to the ones who have already interviewed, so you could get a pre-match offer later, or you could be waiting for Match Day.

With all the excitement over pre-matches this week, I often have to remind all y'all that 6 out of 7 who eventually Match, will do so with no pre-match offers at all :)

• Care
Lots of action the last 2 days with pre-match offers from 8 of our 16 Texas medical schools!
We'll see how things shape up over the next few weeks, and also please share your good news on the individual school threads.

UTMB has let y'all know that they plan to hold off on offers until December, so Galveston fans don't worry, it'll be a longer wait.

Still holding out hope for a pre-match from some of the schools.

They will keep comparing newly interviewed people to the ones who have already interviewed, so you could get a pre-match offer later, or you could be waiting for match Day.

With all the excitement over pre-matches this week, I often have to remind all y'all that 6 out of 7 who eventually Match, will do so with no pre-match offers at all :)
Today has been a very exciting and neurotic day haha

I have checked my email and spent so much time on SDN today

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Guys I have an interview tomorrow at a top choice school but I just found out they're resurfacing the road in front of my house tomorrow. Not only that, but I just got back from vacation yesterday AND my car got broken into that same night, breaking my window. Thankfully nothing was stolen except for a USB charger, because I don't keep anything of value in my car.

We persevere despite the obstacles!

Thankfully I think one of the attendings at my research job will let me use their office for the whole day, but it's all still very frustrating and I want to be completely calm and focused for interview day. The car window is going to have to wait...

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
General question… does anyone know or have any stats on what percent of people match to their top couple choices on match day?

Happy Halloween yall! This cycle is going by so quick and I hope everyone is having a good cycle :cool:
Nightmare Before Christmas Halloween GIF by mtv

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
When they say the thanksgiving "deadline", what does that actually refer to? Does it mean that, generally, if you don't have ANY II then you should start prepping for next cycle? If you do have a couple II then what does this deadline mean?

When they say the thanksgiving "deadline", what does that actually refer to? Does it mean that, generally, if you don't have ANY II then you should start prepping for next cycle? If you do have a couple II then what does this deadline mean?
It's not any kind of deadline but some of the experienced advisors on SDN hint that no interviews at all by Thanksgiving may be a discouraging sign.
I expect TMDSAS invitations for interviews to continue through early January at most schools. A couple of schools like UTMB and UTSW have traditionally wrapped up invitations earlier (end of November) but the interviews themselves might continue through December & January.

so true!! the whole paying for it part is my current worry... but it'll get figured out ◡̈
People in the past have negotiated some scholarships if they have leverage from other schools giving them a scholarship. Medicine is expensive but Texas has the cheapest options in the nation. Most students borrow to go to medical school, just a question of how much.

Has anyone who has been offered an acceptance sent in their transcripts and has seen the TMDSAS portal updated to received? I sent in my transcripts a week ago and haven't seen the portal move to "Received" it still says "NOT RECEIVED"

Has anyone who has been offered an acceptance sent in their transcripts and has seen the TMDSAS portal updated to received? I sent in my transcripts a week ago and haven't seen the portal move to "Received" it still says "NOT RECEIVED"
In the same boat. The applicant handbook says it can take up to 3 weeks to be received and processed.

I sent mine like a week and a half ago and they just came up as received today!

Last edited:
Did you attach the form with it? I forgot to attach it for one of my transcripts and was wondering if I shoulds re-send it.

Same, one of my transcripts was marked received, but not the other one and I sent both at the same time.

I resent mine cause the same thing happened with me.
I asked about this but they just say 21 days.

I figure after 3 weeks, I can resubmit with the form. But it’s still incredibly early.

Anyone submit in late August get an II anywhere yet?
I submitted my primary 7/10, transmitted 8/15, and completed my secondaries by some time late august. I’ve gotten 4 II and only applied to 6 schools in Texas.

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my primary 7/10, transmitted 8/15, and completed my secondaries by some time late august. I’ve gotten 4 II and only applied to 6 schools in Texas.
I have no clue why Texas schools hate me across two cycles. Applied to UTMB, UTSA, Baylor, Southwestern, Dell, UH, McGovern. Nothing.