The Republic of Texas XLI: You'll Never Break A Horse if You Stay Sittin' on the Fence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m just excited for the entire prematch period to start. It would be nice if I had a few more interviews going into that period though haha.

This whole process is far too long. To think it could be a year from application to knowing where I will end up is crazy.
I feel that! One of my schools is very prematch heavy so I might hear back earlier, but for the rest I'm expecting to wait until match day

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else excited about Oct. 15th even though you know that statistically, getting a prematch is unlikely? Haha
Super excited! All it takes is one and then you can finally stop worrying about if you'll even get in at all haha!

Reactions: 1 user
Super excited! All it takes is one and then you can finally stop worrying about if you'll even get in at all haha!
My thoughts exactly. If I get a prematch anywhere I will be ecstatic. But if I don’t, my email will be exhausted by all the refreshing it’ll be doing over the next 6 months 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My thoughts exactly. If I get a prematch anywhere I will be ecstatic. But if I don’t, my email will be exhausted by all the refreshing it’ll be doing over the next 6 months 😂😂😂
8,257 refreshes per day if I don't prematch, without question lol!!

I'm excited about prematch even though I have yet to attend a single interview :')

I just want to know I've been accepted SOMEWHERE, anywhere, so I can spend the holidays without stressing about potential reapplication.

Last edited:
Anyone else excited about Oct. 15th even though you know that statistically, getting a prematch is unlikely? Haha
the only school i’ve interviewed at isn’t prematching until december 🫣

• Care
So do schools usually score you right after the interview and then just never look again? I’m curious as to how the post interview process works

So do schools usually score you right after the interview and then just never look again? I’m curious as to how the post interview process works
Agreed! I really want to understand the process. I assume it's a bit different at each school.

Agreed! I really want to understand the process. I assume it's a bit different at each school.
I imagine it’s different also! El Paso specifically said they rank you the day of the interview, don’t know about others

• Wow
I imagine it’s different also! El Paso specifically said they rank you the day of the interview, don’t know about others
Yep, I remember them saying that as well. I think a lot of the schools rank you immediately. I'm guessing, though, that they also might change your rank as they interview more students and rank them.

Anyone think East Texas applicants will be at a disadvantage getting II’s from other TX schools due to them assuming an applicant is going to go to UTT SOM if they’re accepted?

Anyone think East Texas applicants will be at a disadvantage getting II’s from other TX schools due to them assuming an applicant is going to go to UTT SOM if they’re accepted?
nope

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so. UTT only has 40 seats and a heavy focus on primary care as that is what is needed in the region. I'm sure some students will veer from that but not most. Some students may be interested in other specialties or could receive scholarships to other medical schools so they will go elsewhere. Regardless, I don't think any school will make assumptions like that. I'm sure ETX students are interested in other schools and other schools are interested in them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Another Wednesday, another Wednesday with absolutely no II in my email inbox... D:

@Me watching the interview invite post and noting all of my top choice schools sending out II's this week while my inbox is suspiciously empty

Sad Cry GIF by TLC Europe

Reactions: 5 users
Hey Texas applicants-
I know it doesn't seem like it when you're waiting for news, but there are still many opportunities in your future to be asked to interview.
I counted up the number of invitation days last year compared to this year's cycle by this date, and TMDSAS schools are only 1/3 to 1/2 done.

Take a musical interlude, have patience, and trust in yourself.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone on a gap year have tips for ways to keep yourself busy with a new hobby or something, preferably something social? Waiting for an II is mind-numbing.

Anyone on a gap year have tips for ways to keep yourself busy with a new hobby or something, preferably something social? Waiting for an II is mind-numbing.
I’ve been trying to perfect a homemade pizza in a home oven, but I just can’t get the crust in my oven like they do in those $500 pizza ovens. So figure that one out for me and once you’re done I’ll get you a new task

Reactions: 1 users
In all honesty I work 50-60 hour weeks. Workout. Cook. Have fun. And it’s still always on my mind. I’m frying my brain cells checking online forums and emails all day long. I can’t distract myself enough.

Reactions: 4 users
I have good work/volunteer commitments but it's mostly everyone leaving after graduation that makes it feel somewhat isolating.

Homemade pizza crust is never as good :(

I’ve been trying to perfect a homemade pizza in a home oven, but I just can’t get the crust in my oven like they do in those $500 pizza ovens. So figure that one out for me and once you’re done I’ll get you a new task
I recommend Adam Ragusea's pizza making method - I tried his and the crust ended up super nice and crispy just like in his video

Happy Monday, folks. May your inboxes find themselves blessed with some secondaries and II's this week!

• Care
does anyone else have 0 MD IIs? and getting very concerned?

Reactions: 1 users
Any workout plan recs for beginner-intermediate? I’m getting bored of boring-but-big.

Any workout plan recs for beginner-intermediate? I’m getting bored of boring-but-big.
Haha! Took me some time but I gave up on BBB, did another variation of 531, and am now focusing on running and light 3 x 10 lifting. The 3 x 10 lifts save so much time, and I really don't need to be trying to relive my college football days haha. Nursing a minor hamstring issue for the next week or two, but then will be right back to 30-40 miles per week on the road and 3 x10 in the weight room.

Last edited:
It feels like Tech, UH, and Dell have done the fewest of their IIs so far. Anyone disagree or thinking of another program?

Is anyone else surprised by which schools you’re getting II from? I thought i was a great fit for more primary care focused schools like A&M, Texas Tech and U of Houston, but the schools I have IIs seem to be more stats/research focused which is surprising. I’m really grateful to have interviews, but still it makes me a tiny bit nervous knowing I’m probably not the average student for the schools i interviewed at.

Is anyone else surprised by which schools you’re getting II from? I thought i was a great fit for more primary care focused schools like A&M, Texas Tech and U of Houston, but the schools I have IIs seem to be more stats/research focused which is surprising. I’m really grateful to have interviews, but still it makes me a tiny bit nervous knowing I’m probably not the average student for the schools i interviewed at.
This is me, although I wouldn’t necessarily say my II’s are super stats heavy schools either (UTMB, Long, and Foster where I do align with fit). I’m nervously waiting for my UH and UTRGV IIs because my primary essays basically regurgitate their mission (not intentional, I actually wrote my primary essays long before I looked at any school’s website haha). I get that feeling of, crap, if I can’t even get II’s at the schools I’m a great fit for, what does this mean for acceptances….?

Also. Last Monday I said this and manifested two IIs so let’s do it again! Happy Monday, may your inboxes be blessed with secondary and interview invites this week!! Y’all got this!

Thanks for the workout recs! Time to grind it out in the gym instead of on Word

Thanks for the workout recs! Time to grind it out in the gym instead of on Word
Let's go!! Got my first lift in about 2 weeks in yesterday. Had been running so much and did a bit of traveling, which threw me off of schedule a bit. DOMS is gonna kick my butt tomorrow lol.

May this Monday & week bless you all with IIs!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
When is the latest date you'd recommend taking the MCAT if I'm hoping to be considered for Texas schools as an OOS applicant? I know they look at high stat applicants early for interviews. Is a mid to late May test date okay? I plan be verified and just waiting for my MCAT score before submitting the primary application to schools. I would like to test in late May 2023 or even June after Winter semester ends in April so I can have several weeks just to focus on studying for the MCAT. I'm doing MCAT prep now and will continue it, but I'm also in school full time while studying so would like as much dedicated time as possible (without requiring a gap year). I don't want to harm my chances by being too late as an OOS applicant.

Last edited:
When is the latest date you'd recommend taking the MCAT if I'm hoping to be considered for Texas schools as an OOS applicant? I know they look at high stat applicants early for interviews (hoping I can get there with my score). Is a mid to late May test date okay? I plan be verified and just waiting for my MCAT score before submitting the primary application to schools. I would like to test in late May 2023 or even June after Winter semester ends in April so I can have several weeks just to focus on studying for the MCAT. I'm doing MCAT prep now and will continue it, but I'm also in school full time while studying so would like as much dedicated time as possible (without requiring a gap year). I don't want to harm my chances by being too late as an OOS applicant.
Verification average time is about a month or so for TMDSAS. My best suggestion would be to submit your application as soon as it opens and take the MCAT early May or before that way you’ll have everything in by the time the application is verified. If you take late May or June, you’ll have to wait another 30 days for results to be releases. Not necessarily late, but being this far in advance I would try to get it all complete sooner rather than later.

it’s almost october which means it’s almost prematch day which means it’s almost time for me to frantically check my inbox every day after October 15th. I was doing it for IIs but now it’s going to be x2

The Intern World GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
it’s almost october which means it’s almost prematch day which means it’s almost time for me to frantically check my inbox every day after October 15th. I was doing it for IIs but now it’s going to be x2

The Intern World GIF
It's gonna get super neurotic starting 10/15. Reading old school-specific threads makes this very clear lol. One acceptance on 10/15 should alleviate the neuroticism some, but there is no cure.

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone have a list of post II acceptance rates for TX MD schools?

Is it realistic people would here anything on the 15th since it’s a Saturday? My cousin had an II so I’m just curious.

In my mind why would they say prematch can start being sent on the 15th if no schools would send A’s until the 17th.

Is it realistic people would here anything on the 15th since it’s a Saturday? My cousin had an II so I’m just curious.

In my mind why would they say prematch can start being sent on the 15th if no schools would send A’s until the 17th.
It’s pretty much school dependent. I don’t think anyone is going to clearly be able to answer this question. It could happen or it couldn’t happen.

My totally uneducated take: schools that have historically released decisions at midnight like UTSW might release decisions on the Saturday, but others would probably wait until Monday.

Also there’s a few schools from what I’ve seen that wait till like a week or two (or even a month) after October 15th anyway.

It’s just a day like any other. They will do whatever they feel like doing, don’t treat it like the end all of your medical career if you don’t get an A on Saturday.

As for why they would set prematch up on October 15th, I’m pretty sure it’s a fixed date set by TMDSAS that no one wanted to change. At the end of the day the two day difference probably doesn’t matter very much.

TL;DR: Don’t let it ruin your weekend! Go on a trip or hang out with friends or do underwater basket weaving. Whatever you’re into

I am starting to see a lot of questions, on all the school threads, about ranking and matching. I will refer you back here to read and understand the system if you ask on other pages, except I posted this on the official TMDSAS questions thread as well.

TMDSAS Match System:
How to rank schools where you have interviewed, and how Match works on March 3, 2023.

TMDSAS Match is only for Texas residents applying to TMDSAS schools.
OOS applicants who have interviewed could receive an offer of admission any time after October 15, 2022.
ALL interviews for TMDSAS schools will be over before Feb 17, 2023.

Please take the time to read this information from the TMDSAS guide in detail.
Link: How Do I Select My School Rank Preferences?
The instructions give you steps on entering your rank list in the TMDSAS portal by 5 PM Central Friday Feb 17, 2023.
Watch the video,
which will show you various examples of what happens on Match Day, March 3, 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.