Texas PIT freakout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dio84

Reaction score
Hey guys - any advice appreciated. I'm a slightly older IMG (PGY15+) who recently applied and matched into a Texas program. I have applied for PIT license and one of the questions was around "leave of absence" and if we had taken a leave of absence of around 4 weeks or more - I happily ticked no.
Subsequent questions were around - ever withdrawn from a medschool (no) and ever had professionalism concerns (no) and ever had denial of moving to the next year (no).
Our degree back then was an undergrad 5 year degree with the 1st year being retrospectively counted (so total of 6 years). We did not have GPAs or any academic probation type stuff (we are talking 20 years ago).

We also had the option of taking a research year/travel/gap year inbetween 3rd-4th year which was very informal and taken by a fair number of students.
I took a research year at the end of my fourth year which then disintegrated for multiple reasons but travelled/turned into a gap year and returned with no issues, graduated with distinction.

I had NEVER thought of this until last week when I received official transcripts from university (believe it or not we have one country wide licensing agency and we I have never had to submit transcripts to anyone before including for jobs or my post graduate training/diploma/masters)
The transcript lists the year off as a gap (not research) and withdrawn for the year (not from the school). TMB has not asked us to send verified transcripts.

I freely discussed this year in ERAS application and also talked bout how during this year I had travelled to the US for conferences etc and there were no issues at all. In the 15 years since I have completed fellowship, done further international exams in my specialty and work as a physician with a continous service record and work at the university as a clinical tutor- i'm mentioning this to say I really had no reason to not disclose for any concerns as I feel my work history and CV is fairly robust.

I am however freaking out about PIT license - I am not sure what process is followed exactly but I have no idea whether transcripts are reviewed from primary source (ECFMG) or I suppose via residency program ie via original eras. I have not heard from analyst so far but also freaking out as most of my group are already licensed... I may well be worrying for nothing but if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it - I keep hearing about how an error in a licensing application for texas is a FELONY and I would really like to correc this, even if it means paying for a new app.

TL:DR IMG PGY15, inadvertently did not disclose GAP in med school - worked since/clinical lecturer/attending in home country. Terrifed of TMB and getting PIT screwed over - should i get in touch or get a lawyer or leave it until there is an "actual problem from them" (my kids advice).

Members don't see this ad.

How does someone become a PGY15? That typically refers to training years of residency. If I read this right, you don't have any residency training and just matched into a program. Is that right? Or you've been training in another country? Either way, you should reach out to the board and let them know that it was a research year that you took and did not understand if it needed to be listed or not. You should be ok.

Hey guys - any advice appreciated. I'm a slightly older IMG (PGY15+) who recently applied and matched into a Texas program. I have applied for PIT license and one of the questions was around "leave of absence" and if we had taken a leave of absence of around 4 weeks or more - I happily ticked no.
Subsequent questions were around - ever withdrawn from a medschool (no) and ever had professionalism concerns (no) and ever had denial of moving to the next year (no).
Our degree back then was an undergrad 5 year degree with the 1st year being retrospectively counted (so total of 6 years). We did not have GPAs or any academic probation type stuff (we are talking 20 years ago).

We also had the option of taking a research year/travel/gap year inbetween 3rd-4th year which was very informal and taken by a fair number of students.
I took a research year at the end of my fourth year which then disintegrated for multiple reasons but travelled/turned into a gap year and returned with no issues, graduated with distinction.

I had NEVER thought of this until last week when I received official transcripts from university (believe it or not we have one country wide licensing agency and we I have never had to submit transcripts to anyone before including for jobs or my post graduate training/diploma/masters)
The transcript lists the year off as a gap (not research) and withdrawn for the year (not from the school). TMB has not asked us to send verified transcripts.

I freely discussed this year in ERAS application and also talked bout how during this year I had travelled to the US for conferences etc and there were no issues at all. In the 15 years since I have completed fellowship, done further international exams in my specialty and work as a physician with a continous service record and work at the university as a clinical tutor- i'm mentioning this to say I really had no reason to not disclose for any concerns as I feel my work history and CV is fairly robust.

I am however freaking out about PIT license - I am not sure what process is followed exactly but I have no idea whether transcripts are reviewed from primary source (ECFMG) or I suppose via residency program ie via original eras. I have not heard from analyst so far but also freaking out as most of my group are already licensed... I may well be worrying for nothing but if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it - I keep hearing about how an error in a licensing application for texas is a FELONY and I would really like to correc this, even if it means paying for a new app.

TL:DR IMG PGY15, inadvertently did not disclose GAP in med school - worked since/clinical lecturer/attending in home country. Terrifed of TMB and getting PIT screwed over - should i get in touch or get a lawyer or leave it until there is an "actual problem from them" (my kids advice).
The people who are assigned for your PIT license contact you if there is an issues with your application. Be upfront with your issues. PIT license is not that hard. They will allow you to make changes to your application to get you into training. There are not out there to stop you.
Good luck! I think it will work out.

How does someone become a PGY15? That typically refers to training years of residency. If I read this right, you don't have any residency training and just matched into a program. Is that right? Or you've been training in another country? Either way, you should reach out to the board and let them know that it was a research year that you took and did not understand if it needed to be listed or not. You should be ok.
I graduated 2009. I have been working as a doctor since then, outside the US. Completed training in peds/urgent care (recognized in Ireland, UK, NZ, Aus). So counted my years of grad to be a PGY15.. it was confusing during interviews too. ;)
Thanks for the tip though -may give it another week and do that.