Teaching after FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc110

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have matched to FM and will be starting my residency this July. In the long run I want to teach medicine. What are the various options as a Family physician to teach medicine ( I have heard about physicians in rural clinics acting as adjunct professors for visiting Med students) ? Are there some things I need to focus on during residency (research/posters/presentations) to prepare myself for a career in academics ? Someone told me that if you want to teach at university level you should have gone for IM. Is that right?

Members don't see this ad.

I have matched to FM and will be starting my residency this July. In the long run I want to teach medicine. What are the various options as a Family physician to teach medicine ( I have heard about physicians in rural clinics acting as adjunct professors for visiting Med students) ? Are there some things I need to focus on during residency (research/posters/presentations) to prepare myself for a career in academics ? Someone told me that if you want to teach at university level you should have gone for IM. Is that right?

What do you mean by "teach"?

You could become teaching faculty at a residency program, which is what most people think of when they think of "teaching" medicine. This is often, although not always, done as part of a move to become program director at some point.

If you want to become part of a university program faculty, you can do that easily through FM - many large universities have FM programs as well.

Entering academics is, in general, not a terribly popular option. The pay is usually less than what you could make in private practice, you'll never become partner, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone told me that if you want to teach at university level you should have gone for IM. Is that right?

Of course not. There are FM faculty at every medical school that has an FM program. Even in private practice, there are opportunities to serve as adjunct faculty (e.g., assistant professor, community preceptor, etc.) I'm an assistant professor at my alma mater as well as my residency program, and have medical students in the office regularly. One of my partners also precepts medical students. I don't have residents very often, but that's more of an institutional thing (the program prefers to keep their residents in their system, and I'm part of an independent group).

I should add that the kind of teaching I do is not reimbursed (although I get CME credit). If a paid position is what you're interested in, you'll likely have to work directly for the school or residency program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Opportunities are abound. Next year I'll be working at a residency continuity site and precepting one or two days a week. It's what I wanted to do in addition to having my own patient panel. In this model I get an RVU bonus secondary to decreased productivity (residents tend to get behind and don't get as many patients scheduled.) During sessions I'm precepting a second or third year I have no other patient responsibilities. When precepting a first year I'll have a minimal schedule of my own. The nice thing is, I get to teach. I can bill efficiently. I'm not 100% clear in the explanation, but as this isn't the main residency office, it doesn't qualify for the primary care CMS exception that allows residents to work under attendings but not precept every patient/have every patient seen. While some faculty wouldn't like this, as I am somewhat dependent on resident productivity it works out for me because if I go in the room (which I have to) I can bill a higher level 99214/99215 vs 99213 (which residents can't bill above if an attending doesn't see the patient).

Ultimately, it works out per all the clinicians at the office. I get to see my own patients.

The best part? I'm doing what I want to do and I'm paid under the physician group and not the residency program so I don't suffer the "academic pay cut."

I have the opportunity to work with students as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Opportunities are abound. Next year I'll be working at a residency continuity site and precepting one or two days a week. It's what I wanted to do in addition to having my own patient panel. In this model I get an RVU bonus secondary to decreased productivity (residents tend to get behind and don't get as many patients scheduled.) During sessions I'm precepting a second or third year I have no other patient responsibilities. When precepting a first year I'll have a minimal schedule of my own. The nice thing is, I get to teach. I can bill efficiently. I'm not 100% clear in the explanation, but as this isn't the main residency office, it doesn't qualify for the primary care CMS exception that allows residents to work under attendings but not precept every patient/have every patient seen. While some faculty wouldn't like this, as I am somewhat dependent on resident productivity it works out for me because if I go in the room (which I have to) I can bill a higher level 99214/99215 vs 99213 (which residents can't bill above if an attending doesn't see the patient).

Ultimately, it works out per all the clinicians at the office. I get to see my own patients.

The best part? I'm doing what I want to do and I'm paid under the physician group and not the residency program so I don't suffer the "academic pay cut."

I have the opportunity to work with students as well.

So, you get 2 sources of income?
How did you work out the PP and academic jobs to coalesce like that?

So, you get 2 sources of income?
How did you work out the PP and academic jobs to coalesce like that?
Nah. The office has been established for >15 years. Within the past 2-3 years the health system it is under and the subsequent FM residency has placed residents there as a continuity site. I'm paid one salary, but it's not a traditional academic salary.

It's an "awesome" deal because I'll be paid like my peers and not have to worry about the academic associated salary cut (which I think is ~25,000-35,000 dollars talking with others).

Nah. The office has been established for >15 years. Within the past 2-3 years the health system it is under and the subsequent FM residency has placed residents there as a continuity site. I'm paid one salary, but it's not a traditional academic salary.

It's an "awesome" deal because I'll be paid like my peers and not have to worry about the academic associated salary cut (which I think is ~25,000-35,000 dollars talking with others).

That's cool.
I'm going to look into being a community preceptor.