Summer Employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunmom618

Reaction score
Hi all.

I’m a current sophomore getting ready to wrap up my semester. I’m currently facing an issue with trying to find clinical experience. I recently took an online MA course and I am eligible to take my certification exam anytime (I planned on doing so after my semester wraps up). As I progress in undergrad my upper level classes and prerequisites are requiring more of my time (alongside shadowing and volunteering), which is why I’m looking to gain clinical experience over my summer break. I’ve reached out to many clinics - including private practices - to try and find summer employment but I’m having no luck. I have been offered 1 MA job although it is pretty much all administrative, so I’m hesitant to accept it. Other than this, nobody wants to hire me for ~3 months, which is completely understandable but still frustrating. I have prior experience working as a PT aide which was a great experience with lots of patient interaction. I know the general rule of thumb is “If you can smell the patient, it’s clinical experience,” although I’ve seen conflicting information as to whether or not this type of clinical experience is acceptable. I’ve considered scribing but I know most companies require a year-long time commitment. I’m also open to caregiving and patient care tech roles, although most of the jobs in my area require a CNA cert. I know many pre-meds get their hours by taking a gap year, although I planned on applying right after graduation. Does anyone have advice they can offer? Anything is helpful.
(Sorry for the long post!!)

Members don't see this ad.

If you live near a VA, they have different requirements for CNAs as it’s a federal govt position, (they call them NAs but same job). very little training that isn’t done on the job so no need to take extra cert classes

Reactions: 1 user
If you live near a VA, they have different requirements for CNAs as it’s a federal govt position, (they call them NAs but same job). very little training that isn’t done on the job so no need to take extra cert classes
Thank you! I’m not super close but I’ll look into this.