SLU vs Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robracer89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Delete]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My initial gut would be SLU. I believe it is higher ranked and St. Louis > buffalo as a place to live..

How important is the difference between 9 hours and to St Louis? Those are both pretty far so that almost seems neglible.

But I don't think you would go wrong with SUNY Buff if you liked them both. Closer to home and cheaper.

Reactions: 1 users
SLU. As soon as I read not pass/fail as a con for buffalo, nothing else mattered lol

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone so I have bit of a dilemma. I have an acceptance to SLU and was invited for an interview at SUNY Buffalo. I have been told that the way Buffalo does their interview process I have an equal chance of getting accepted there. So this is for that hypothetical scenario but i would really appreciate some insight thank you!!

SLU
Pros:
-has had some great match lists over the years.
- True Pass and Fail curriculum with no internal rankings for the first 2 years which ties into how they really care about their students.
- Student wellness and happiness really seem key seeing that they really over hauled their curriculum to improve the mental health of their students. Also every student I met during interview day really seemed to love the school.
- Chances to see more varied cases during years 3 and 4 then I would see if i went Buffalo.

Cons:
- Cost. COA ~$75,000 and I would have to move 1000 miles away from my home.

- curriculum puts clinical training in the 3 and 4th years like most medical schools.

Buffalo
Pros:
- Instate Tuiton would save me about 10,000 dollars per year at 66,000.
-only 9 hours away from my home.
- early clinical training is part of the curriculum.
- The research oppurtuniites may be better but not too sure about this one.

Cons-
Buffalo is absolutely frigid at times.
- seems to be a more high stress enviroment then SLU and the curriculum is not pass/fail
-weaker match list (https://medicine.buffalo.edu/news_a.../smbs/news/2016/03/match-day-5602.detail.html) maybe?
There is lots of discussion on why match lists are not to be trusted.
10 k per year is not worth deciding one way or the other especially if one school can set you up for your desired residency better.
What are you interested in? Do both schools have programs of that specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you are from downstate, flying home and back from St. Louis will probably be quicker than driving to Buffalo, only the initial move would be more difficult

My initial gut would be SLU. I believe it is higher ranked and St. Louis > buffalo as a place to live..

How important is the difference between 9 hours and to St Louis? Those are both pretty far so that almost seems neglible.

But I don't think you would go wrong with SUNY Buff if you liked them both. Closer to home and cheaper.
The difference to me doesn't really matter more of my moms input on that ahah .

There is lots of discussion on why match lists are not to be trusted.
10 k per year is not worth deciding one way or the other especially if one school can set you up for your desired residency better.
What are you interested in? Do both schools have programs of that specialty?
I really don't know what I want to do and I looked up on sdn that match lists can be decieiving so I won't be making a decision based on that so thank you for letting me know. I think I am just going to attend the interview and see how I feel afterwards.