Should I hold off on applying? GPA concerns.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seabham

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated August 2021 with my BS in Biology. I finished my undergrad with a cGPA and sGPA of ~3.4. I have a pretty substantial upward trend. At my lowest point I was at a 2.9 cGPA. I started off rough my freshman & sophomore year due to really poor study habits and generally not caring, but nearly aced all my upper division science courses during my last two years. Looking at my last 56 creds at my undergrad, my GPA is above ~3.9. Also, I retook the two prereqs I got a C- in at CC and aced them.

My MCAT score is pending. I just feel unconfident applying with my low GPA. Do I continue taking more post-bacc classes? Or should I apply broadly to both MD and DO schools?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on what you want out of your medical education. I think DO schools would gladly take you. They aren't so cut and dry about GPA. They also take a holistic approach to your application. You have good reasoning behind your issues. I would go for it. I know on a lot of the DO school applications that they have a box where you explain some things that you want them to know about your application at face-value. That is where you can explain a low GPA. But be confident in yourself! Obviously you did well when you wanted to.

Last 56 is 3.9???? That's a great upward trend. Competitive MCAT would help a lot, I would either apply to a throwaway and wait for your score, or just wait altogether. You can also apply next cycle if you need to fill any requirements like clinical experience or volunteering. What were your MCAT practice tests looking like?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Moving to WAMC.

Your chances for this cycle are entirely dependent on MCAT, but I don't see much advantage to additional post-bacc courses. You've just about done as well as you possibly can to show reinvention.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep. Need an MCAT and a WAMC template.
A template of your activities would help out a lot. Here you go. Fill it in in this thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I graduated August 2021 with my BS in Biology. I finished my undergrad with a cGPA and sGPA of ~3.4. I have a pretty substantial upward trend. At my lowest point I was at a 2.9 cGPA. I started off rough my freshman & sophomore year due to really poor study habits and generally not caring, but nearly aced all my upper division science courses during my last two years. Looking at my last 56 creds at my undergrad, my GPA is above ~3.9. Also, I retook the two prereqs I got a C- in at CC and aced them.

My MCAT score is pending. I just feel unconfident applying with my low GPA. Do I continue taking more post-bacc classes? Or should I apply broadly to both MD and DO schools?

Thank you in advance!
You should apply as if your GPA is 3.9. I do not see a need for post-bacc classes, as you have a steep Rising GPA Trend which is very good.

You should apply as if your GPA is 3.9. I do not see a need for post-bacc classes, as you have a steep Rising GPA Trend which is very good.
Thank you for your response. My last 84 credits (last 6 quarters) actually average to be around a 3.87. How do I go about explaining my initial grades? I take full responsibility for my poor study habits, I don't want to give any excuses.

And I am hesitating to apply to MD schools because my MCAT is up in the air right now. What are your thoughts on just applying DO?

Edit: I did my undergrad at the University of Washington, if that's helpful at all.

Thank you for your response. My last 84 credits (last 6 quarters) actually average to be around a 3.87. How do I go about explaining my initial grades? I take full responsibility for my poor study habits, I don't want to give any excuses.

And I am hesitating to apply to MD schools because my MCAT is up in the air right now. What are your thoughts on just applying DO?

Edit: I did my undergrad at the University of Washington, if that's helpful at all.
You don't explain your grades unless asked.

If asked, just tell the truth.

Ask me about just DO when you get your MCAT score back

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 505 (127/122/127/129) which is much lower than I expected. CARS killed me on Test day. Should I retake or apply? Super conflicted, thanks for your help! @Goro