Seeking Success Stories:Ortho Residency with 3.5 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthodontics-Applicantt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am truly passionate about orthodontics and I am determined to find ways to increase my chances of getting accepted into a program.
  • I'm currently a third-year dental student with an average GPA and class rank, around 3.55. I am aware that my GPA is not competitive enough for this residency, and I am very concerned about how this might impact my chances of acceptance. However, I am committed to strengthening my application in other areas.
  • I also have a master’s degree but haven’t secured any publications yet.
  • I'm involved in a few orthodontic research projects which hopefully will result in 1 or 2 publications by the end of my last year.
  • I have a lot in extracurricular involvements
  • My clinical experience is great, and I plan to complete a GPR to strengthen my application.
  • I believe I can count on receiving strong letters of recommendation from my references
However, I am only applying for programs that offer a stipend.
I would love to hear from individuals who had similar GPAs but successfully secured a residency in orthodontics. Any tips or advice you could share would be incredibly valuable.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your rank. Why not apply this year? Why are you only applying to paid residencies when you already feel disadvantaged based on your gpa?

Reactions: 3 users
Why are you only applying to paid residencies when you already feel disadvantaged based on your gpa?
This.

Beggars can’t be choosers. If you’re a below average applicant, plan on attending a below average program (i.e. one that will add $300-400k to your student loans).

Big Hoss

• Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This.

Beggars can’t be choosers. If you’re a below average applicant, plan on attending a below average program (i.e. one that will add $300-400k to your student loans).

Big Hoss
I don't appreciate your vibe! Always throwing negative comments on left and right. I've seen your posts everywhere. Also, I did not say I a below average applicant. Respectfully, stop sharing your opinion here.

Last edited:
Do you prefer a “feel good” response to a “truthful” response? While it may not be what you wanted to hear, it’s an honest assessment.

And since you only want to apply to programs with a stipend, if that stipend is funded with GME money, you may run into issues as an international student. This probably isn't something you also wanted to hear.

Despite the saying, ignorance is not bliss…

IMG_0929.jpeg

Big Hoss

Reactions: 17 users
I don't appreciate your vibe! Always throwing negative comments on left and right. I've seen your posts everywhere. Also, I did not say I a below average applicant. Respectfully, stop sharing your opinion here.
Why post if you’re not willing to hear honest opinions? Would you rather me say you are a strong applicant and you are guaranteed a spot? You admit to having an average GPA and class rank, no publications, and are international. All of these work against you. Unless you left something significant out, you are a below average applicant for ortho. If you are set on only applying to schools with stipends, it will most definitely be an uphill battle for you…. Take this criticism and use it as an opportunity to improve.

Reactions: 9 users
Sorry but everything these people are saying is true. Those stipend residencies for ortho are sparse and very competitive. They usually only interview the top of the class, like top 3, and also usually look for applicants with work experience since most are hospital based. I will not say it’s impossible, but it’s very difficult unless you have connections (like being close friends with faculty or your significant other is in the program)

Last edited:
You said “I am aware that my GPA is not competitive enough for this residency”. That means you’re a below average applicant. Nothing wrong with that but don’t get angry with people being honest with you. You won’t last in residency if you do. He’s right, beggars can’t be choosers. If you want to maximize your chances of getting in, you can’t only apply to the competitive programs. You have to apply broadly. How bad do you want this?

Reactions: 2 users
A common theme I’ve heard among applicants is “you go where you get in.” This is complete true.. if you want to be an orthodontist that badly you’ll go anywhere, even high cost schools to be one or reapply for a few years to try and get into a more competitive school. Applying to ONLY stipend programs is going to be extremely difficulty. Be mentally prepared that you may not receive interviews and you’ll have to apply during multiple cycles.

This attitude of "I only want to hear positive replies, not the truth" is exactly how people end up in stupid levels of debt. The pre-dent forums are just filled with an echo chamber of replies like "don't worry about your debt, hassle hard and you will kill it!!". No one wants to hear the hard honest truth these days

Reactions: 2 users
Do you prefer a “feel good” response to a “truthful” response? While it may not be what you wanted to hear, it’s an honest assessment.

And since you only want to apply to programs with a stipend, if that stipend is funded with GME money, you may run into issues as an international student. This probably isn't something you also wanted to hear.

Despite the saying, ignorance is not bliss…

View attachment 386921

Big Hoss
International students are eligible for GME stipends, if they match. How do I know? I did recieve GME stipend as an international student then.

International students are eligible for GME stipends, if they match. How do I know? I did recieve GME stipend as an international student then.
And my residency program wouldn’t interview international students partly because of the headache it created with the GME office. They also weren’t looking to deal with visa issues. There are more than enough qualified applicants without this baggage.

Regardless, being an international student is a disadvantage.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This attitude of "I only want to hear positive replies, not the truth" is exactly how people end up in stupid levels of debt. The pre-dent forums are just filled with an echo chamber of replies like "don't worry about your debt, hassle hard and you will kill it!!". No one wants to hear the hard honest truth these days
yep
1717010459233.png

Plenty of new grad associate orthos bouncing between multiple practices trying to cobble together a full-time schedule.

Big Hoss
Yup, the salary depends on how hard one works. The ortho gets paid per diem....so the more days you work, the more money you make. Until now, I still have to travel to 5 different offices (3 are my own and 2 are corp offices)......to get 15 work days per month. And I graduated 20+ years ago.

This applies to other specialties (OS, perio, endo, pedo) as well...... especially in an oversaturated market like So Cal.