SCS for depression being studied

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably some bipolar patients switched from depression to mania or something

Yep, if they fail SCS psych screen we will just pop in this other SCS to treat their depression.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
It's going to be a game-changer. The response to Stellate's for mixed anxiety/depression is compelling too.
I think it is a little early to say that it is a game changer. But all forms of neuromodulation including TMS are increasingly intriguing. Used much more in Europe for chronic pain as well.

this is NOT SCS.

this is TENS. not even peripheral stim.

The tsDCS device 2 × 2 transcutaneous spinal direct current stimulator model 0707-A (Soterix Medical®, New York, NY) was utilized. This device is available in the US only for investigational use and was labeled accordingly.

In preparation for each tsDCS session, participants were asked to change into a gown and remain seated. Carbon rubber electrodes (4.5 × 4.5 cm) were placed inside EASYpad sponges (Soterix Medical ®) moist in saline solution (0.9% NaCl) to decrease impedance. The sponge size for the anode electrode was 5 × 10 cm and the cathode was 5 × 7 cm. The electrodes were connected to the tsDCS device through cables 188 cm in length. A detailed description of the electrode montage and tsDCS temporal characteristics are presented in Fig. 1.
screened 671 patients to get 20 suckers volunteers. 30% attrition rate out of those 20. total of 6 sham and 8 "active" patients.

all patients benefitted. the point they are making is that the treatment patients may have benefitted more. all 8 of them.

and in secondary measures, there were no real statistically significant differences in between the 2 groups.

Categorical response rate differences between the intervention groups according to MADRS score did not reach statistical significance for partial response (p = 0.08), response (p = 0.36), or remission (p = 0.34) criteria (Supplementary Table 2). A MADRS item-level analysis showed that compared to sham, active tsDCS induced a greater decrease in LS mean (±SE) MADRS “reported sadness” item (−1.8 ± 0.4 vs. −3.2 ± 0.4, p = 0.012). A statistical trend in the same direction was observed for “pessimistic thoughts” item (−0.8 ± 0.5 vs. −1.9 ± 0.4, 0.094), as well as week-8 clinical global impression-improvement (CGI-I) scale scores (2.0 ± 0.3 vs. 1.3 ± 0.3, p = 0.091). Although greater numerical decreases in the active group were observed on all MADRS items (except “reduced sleep”), no other statistically significant difference was observed between groups. There were no significant differences in change from baseline to week 8 between intervention groups on self-reported PHQ-9, MAIA, 4-DSQ, and BES scales (Table 2).

in effect, a study to justify giving a patient a TENS unit.

this is NOT SCS.

screened 671 patients to get 20 suckers volunteers. 30% attrition rate out of those 20. total of 6 sham and 8 "active" patients.

all patients benefitted. the point they are making is that the treatment patients may have benefitted more. all 8 of them.

and in secondary measures, there were no real statistically significant differences in between the 2 groups.

Yeah yeah.. But how much can we charge? ,, can we get some KOLs in here to help us make our decisions?

this is NOT SCS.

If you told me my psych issues were in my back, I’d be pissed.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users