"Racist" phamacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i don’t know about that. Store I worked at, the store manager said anything recorded inside of the store requires written consent. I’d hope recording a pharmacist requires his or her consent too...

BJ is being cute by pointing out that the person doing the filming isn't the one violating HIPAA because it isn't the customers responsibility to protect PHI. It's the pharmacy's. So the customer might be doing something he isn't supposed to be doing but he isn't "violating HIPAA" by filming, the pharmacy is violating HIPAA by allowing PHI to be viewed in the first place. It is up to the pharmacy to prevent that filming, even if the filming is being done against the pharmacy's will. The videotaper should not be able to film any PHI to being with.

BJ is technically correct - the best kind of correct.

EDIT: And I just realized BJ wasn't actually the first person to point out that patient's cannot violate HIPAA. It was confetti being cute. My bad. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
calm down bro. I said “most”, not all. I am not Asian... just my observation.... my classmates, who were mostly immigrants, were not racist.

Most Asians I have met are "secretly" racist lol... Literally had a Chinese foreign exchange student tell me the thing he hates most about America is the diversity. I guess when you live in a country with almost zero diversity, you feel some type of way :unsure: lol

I’m going to request that this thread be locked or deleted...it’s devolving into an “are Asians racist” debate.

Which in self is a generalization and thereby racist.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i don’t know about that. Store I worked at, the store manager said anything recorded inside of the store requires written consent. I’d hope recording a pharmacist requires his or her consent too...

That’s not HIPAA, that’s some dude with a vest and a nametag saying things.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

EDIT: And I just realized BJ wasn't actually the first person to point out that patient's cannot violate HIPAA. It was confetti being cute. My bad. ;)

Hell yeah I’m cute, chicks dig me.

BJ is being cute by pointing out that the person doing the filming isn't the one violating HIPAA because it isn't the customers responsibility to protect PHI. It's the pharmacy's. So the customer might be doing something he isn't supposed to be doing but he isn't "violating HIPAA" by filming, the pharmacy is violating HIPAA by allowing PHI to be viewed in the first place. It is up to the pharmacy to prevent that filming, even if the filming is being done against the pharmacy's will. The videotaper should not be able to film any PHI to being with.

BJ is technically correct - the best kind of correct.

Thanks you for clarity/English-ing that up better wording wise...plenty adamant about kicking out eavesdropping bums who feel like hanging around in my waiting area for the chair (occasionally catch some attempt to sleep behind flu shot covering/veil thinking I won't notice)....bums and hipster doofus millennials who feel like using my outlets to casually charge cell phones and various devices while all kinds of info is being said (open layout)

Last edited:
I hope I am not the only one who had to google “matricula”. I thought it was some kind of a school record.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I hope I am not the only one who had to google “matricula”. I thought it was some kind of a school record.
I had the same thought and had to look it up as well.

Use your judgement and just sell the Sudafed if they don't have valid ID, you're not gonna get in trouble about it. It's 2019, no one is smurfing PSE for manfufacturing meth. One thing I hate about this profession is how anal everyone is about rules, regulations and policies.

We have this one senior pharmacist at my hospital who started complaining that I was switching from tablets to liquid formulation on nurse's requests without orders from prescribers. She complained to management about it since "hospital policy" but management backed me up. They told her since I'm the overnight pharmacist, I'm by default the pharmacy supervisor between 10pm-6am so I can make those decisions.

• Haha
Use your judgement and just sell the Sudafed if they don't have valid ID, you're not gonna get in trouble about it. It's 2019, no one is smurfing PSE for manfufacturing meth. One thing I hate about this profession is how anal everyone is about rules, regulations and policies.

We have this one senior pharmacist at my hospital who started complaining that I was switching from tablets to liquid formulation on nurse's requests without orders from prescribers. She complained to management about it since "hospital policy" but management backed me up. They told her since I'm the overnight pharmacist, I'm by default the pharmacy supervisor between 10pm-6am so I can make those decisions.

I am all about using your judgment but its against the law if this pharmacist sells it and this guy already purchased the limit for the day/month. Why risk your job just because this guy wants Sudafed for a non-emergent health issue... Theres other decongestants that don't require a license which he could have offered as an alternative though.

Reactions: 6 users

It always surprises me how you keep a job when no law ever applies to you.

• Haha
I am all about using your judgment but its against the law if this pharmacist sells it and this guy already purchased the limit for the day/month. Why risk your job just because this guy wants Sudafed for a non-emergent health issue... Theres other decongestants that don't require a license which he could have offered as an alternative though.

Because no one is out there auditing PSE sales and log books. We're not talking about controlleds here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling that most pharmacists would be ESTJ or ISTJ under the MBTI personality types. I'm more of an INFP/ENFP.

Aren't you that same pharmacist that plays CSGO and watch Netflix inbetween orders overnight and smokes a "fat blunt" when you come home. I quote

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Aren't you that same pharmacist that plays CSGO and watch Netflix inbetween orders overnight and smokes a "fat blunt" when you come home. I quote

Not CSGO anymore. Teammates get mad when you abandon them for a few minutes to verify orders/make IVs. Now I play Civilizations 6 and build my empire against AI.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
“Gosh, I wish that pharmacist paged me at 3am to get permission to change Tylenol from tablet to liquid” said no one ever

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Sparda is a man shaped child, with all of the beauty and horror that that entails

• Haha
Sparda is a man shaped child, with all of the beauty and horror that that entails

What’s most interesting is that he is able to get away so successfully being one. I wonder if his family and friends are well-connected to those in power?

It’s cuz Sparda adapted to his workplace and has enough sense to balance supporting his prescribers and adhering to laws and procedures.

Basically, he’s not a little b*tch who pages for every tiny little thing. He won’t call the on-call clinical/administrative manager for something stupid. He just does his sh/t and has a sense of calculated risk.

That’s someone you want on the night shift. Hands down.

• Haha
It’s cuz Sparda adapted to his workplace and has enough sense to balance supporting his prescribers and adhering to laws and procedures.

Basically, he’s not a little b*tch who pages for every tiny little thing. He won’t call the on-call clinical/administrative manager for something stupid. He just does his sh/t and has a sense of calculated risk.

That’s someone you want on the night shift. Hands down.

I beg to differ.

I agree on things like switching from a liquid to a tablet but straight up ignoring laws is different.

I will also say knowing your prescribers is also important, he could get himself in big trouble if he gets that one prescriber who gets pissed because their order was changed.

This is a man who simply thinks laws don't apply to him.

I beg to differ.

I agree on things like switching from a liquid to a tablet but straight up ignoring laws is different.

I will also say knowing your prescribers is also important, he could get himself in big trouble if he gets that one prescriber who gets pissed because their order was changed.

This is a man who simply thinks laws don't apply to him.

There are certain things I won't touch. Example, sometimes nurses call me and tell me a narcotic order has expired and if I can renew it, sorry nope, can't do that. I'm not gonna go out there and start changing a drug from one drug to another because I saw that bacteria was resistant to Drug A on the cultures report. I'll call up the resident on call and inform them of the best possible choice in that scenario.

Where I'm parking my car? You bet I'm parking it in the physician's lot or in the security officer's lot.

I guess your last sentence, yeah I have my own code that I follow.

As for weed, it's decriminalized in New York and that's all that concerns me, fk the feds.

• Haha
There are certain things I won't touch. Example, sometimes nurses call me and tell me a narcotic order has expired and if I can renew it, sorry nope, can't do that. I'm not gonna go out there and start changing a drug from one drug to another because I saw that bacteria was resistant to Drug A on the cultures report. I'll call up the resident on call and inform them of the best possible choice in that scenario.

Where I'm parking my car? You bet I'm parking it in the physician's lot or in the security officer's lot.

As for weed, it's decriminalized in New York and that's all that concerns me, fk the feds.

Third shift privilege is great! You can wear jeans, t shirt and sneakers every night and no one cares. Play on your phone. Park anywhere since the lot is empty.

I could also see you parking in handicap spots because you'll only be there for a minute.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Not CSGO anymore. Teammates get mad when you abandon them for a few minutes to verify orders/make IVs. Now I play Civilizations 6 and build my empire against AI.

Dude, civ IV is way better. Anything after 4 lost its way...

You should try it

The man....

• Love
  • Haha
Third shift privilege is great! You can wear jeans, t shirt and sneakers every night and no one cares. Play on your phone. Park anywhere since the lot is empty.

We're allowed to wear scrubs on all shifts thank god. If someone is dressed up, they probably have a hot date later on.

Because no one is out there auditing PSE sales and log books. We're not talking about controlleds here.

Side note, pseudoephedrine is CV in IL. I think it's prescription only in Oregon?
Either way, I wouldn't mess with the feds by giving out unlogged PSE.

Maybe I’m the racist; wtf is a “matricula”???? Have to assume some kind of out of country Id card, but honestly never heard this term

Maybe I’m the racist; wtf is a “matricula”???? Have to assume some kind of out of country Id card, but honestly never heard this term

Matricula Consular, it’s issued by the Mexican government issued to Mexican nationals residing outside the country. Argentina and Guatemala also issue these ID cards, the US started issuing passport cards which kind of serve the same function + land travel privileges. They’re considered valid ID in many jurisdictions and Treasury recognizes them as such for banking functions.