Partnership reimbursement: Time or RVUs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WalterSobchak

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get a feeling for how different groups distribute the pay. Is it through time spent in cases, or RVUs earned? Is it a blend of the two?

What about people doing higher risk/more demanding stuff? Do they make the same as the surgery center guy?

I'm just looking for generalizations. If you would like to PM me, that's fine too.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to get a feeling for how different groups distribute the pay. Is it through time spent in cases, or RVUs earned? Is it a blend of the two?

What about people doing higher risk/more demanding stuff? Do they make the same as the surgery center guy?

I'm just looking for generalizations. If you would like to PM me, that's fine too.

Thanks.

My eight year gig in a traditional PP model was....we distributed the work equally amongst a busy hospital and a busy surgery center....we paid all our bills....office staff, mortgage, CRNAs....then whatever was left we split equally at the end of every month.

Currently work for an AMC where I make the same amount whether I'm grunting out the day in the heart room or living it up on one of my nine weeks of vacation.

Practice models are so varied due to setup/region of US you practice in.....that I don't think theres an answer to your question that'll satiate you.

Which is wanna the great things about this gig....

if you're worth your weight, you'll be able to find what you want.

Our practice is all based on units. Base plus time. No credit for modifiers or lines. No difference where yo work except pain. There is a pain unit value which is different than a regular unit value. So they can decide how they want to run their end of the business. Unit value is calculated by taking all the income for the year minus expenses and then dividing by the number of units credited. Take two weeks of vacation and the corresponding paycheck will be zero, but bust your ***, and you get a nice paycheck. Not 100% fair, but it is the most fair I've seen yet.

Resident thoughts here - no real world experience.

My guess is that it's commonly done both ways. With a group that values fairness and has no tiered partnership, I suspect both systems can work well. Each system offers different means for abuse in a group that uses junior people to pad the lifestyle and/or salary of the older ones.

In the RVU model, the high paying cases go to the people in power. In the time model, the easy cases go to the people in power.