Northwestern Feinberg vs. University of Virginia (UVA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktown3129

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Northwestern Feinberg
Pros
  • In Chicago, and I would like to experience a city
  • PBL, I think I would enjoy it
  • Diverse city for me to practice Spanish
  • Multiple free clinics to work at
  • Lots of research opportunities, and I am considering a career in academic medicine. Thesis is something I'd like to pursue
  • Nice early clinical experiences
  • High ranking
  • Really nice buildings + facilities (and a children's hospital, which is nice since considering pediatrics!)
  • Chance my SO could end up working here

Cons
  • Essentially 2 years preclinical
  • Have heard that it can be stressful during preclinical, lots to do
  • Expensive (about 85k per year COA)

UVA
Pros
  • Preclinical is 1.5 years, solid curriculum!
  • Cheaper (with aid it should be about 50-60k per year). Also, cost of living much lower here.
  • Better weather
  • Nice facilities
  • Students seem to be extremely happy and stress-free

Cons
  • Patient population not as diverse/large
  • No chance SO could end up working here
  • Less research focus than Northwestern
  • Mandatory away rotations throughout VA don't appeal to me

Summary: I think I am leaning towards Northwestern as it aligns more with my goals (diverse population, experiencing urban life, lots of research opportunities, free clinic opportunities) but am wondering if 20-30k per year cheaper from UVA would make it worth it. And although both are far from home, my SO has a chance of eventually working in Chicago and zero chance of working in Charlottesville. Also, I'd like to eventually end up in a big city for residency and my career (probably in the Northeast). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to have more pulling you to NW, but...

Cville is a refugee relocation site, and is plenty diverse. It doesn't have a gigantic Hispanic population, but it has a fair amount still. There are also a lot of research opportunities, seeing as how UVA ranks fairly well on the research rankings. If you want to do it, someone will help you do it. And, there is a free clinic, though it's not run by UVA (Charlottesville Free Clinic). There's also plenty of opportunities to arrange and participate in community screenings.

And UVA will not hold you back from doing residency in a large city in the NE.

Reactions: 1 user
You seem to have more pulling you to NW, but...

Cville is a refugee relocation site, and is plenty diverse. It doesn't have a gigantic Hispanic population, but it has a fair amount still. There are also a lot of research opportunities, seeing as how UVA ranks fairly well on the research rankings. If you want to do it, someone will help you do it. And, there is a free clinic, though it's not run by UVA (Charlottesville Free Clinic). There's also plenty of opportunities to arrange and participate in community screenings.

And UVA will not hold you back from doing residency in a large city in the NE.

Thanks for the information! I had forgotten about some of that since my interview.