Non-English characters on PS.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princeton Medical Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, time for a very obscure question.

Are there any technical issues (primarily in rendering etc) of personal statements that have a word or two in not English characters (specifically Cyrillic characters)?

It fits with the PS well, and isn't essential to understanding it, I am not planning on writing my PS all in a foreign language I'm not silly I promise.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any technical issues (primarily in rendering etc) of personal statements that have a word or two in not English characters (specifically Cyrillic characters)? It fits with the PS well, and isn't essential to understanding it
I recommend using the Romanized versions of the Cyrillic words. To non-native speakers, we will be none the wiser. Just my thoughts.

Per AMCAS (source here, p57):
"Use English (United States) characters; other characters may not be accurately recognized"

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Agree with @Moko on this. By the time the Cyrillic character gets pushed through AMCAS (the code for which was seemingly written in 1978), and then through whatever application-management system is used by each individual school, it will feel like mashed potatoes.

Reactions: 2 users