MSU DO Vs. Central Michigan MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnyboy51

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both schools. I am leaning toward MSUCOM due to its strong reputation and extensive hospital network for clinical experience. Faculty from other DO schools I interviewed at told me to attend MSUCOM over their school and they didn't even know where else I applied. Currently CMED only has 2 hospitals and is still a new school. No match data because no classes have graduated yet. Looking for some input of what other people think of this decision. I know many feel that MD is better no matter what but in this case I feel a top tier DO school is better than a new MD school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

The US MD will open more residency options just because of those four letters, even if the training isn't as great as a strong DO. But it's not like Central Michigan will be awful either, it still had to go through accreditation, and LCME is a lot more stringent than COCA.

I know many feel that MD is better no matter what but in this case I feel a top tier DO school is better than a new MD school.

nope. US MD > US DO, and so a new US MD > established US DO school. there are structural problems with the US DO route (COMLEX, DO shelf exams, weaker COCA oversight/regulation, long-term career limitations etc.). go to Central Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted to both schools. I am leaning toward MSUCOM due to its strong reputation and extensive hospital network for clinical experience. Faculty from other DO schools I interviewed at told me to attend MSUCOM over their school and they didn't even know where else I applied. Currently CMED only has 2 hospitals and is still a new school. No match data because no classes have graduated yet. Looking for some input of what other people think of this decision. I know many feel that MD is better no matter what but in this case I feel a top tier DO school is better than a new MD school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

CMU only has a couple sites, but if I remember right, it's still a tiny school overall so it's not like you're getting squeezed out. Mt. Pleasant and Saginaw may not be the world's greatest places, but MSU could ship you all over the state of Michigan as well, so location shouldn't be much of a factor in your decision.

Probably a bit better to go to Central if you want to have a greater chance to go to a competitive specialty. Still, MSU is one of the best, if not the best, DO schools out there though, and Michigan (both schools want to retain graduates) might be arguably the most DO-friendly state in the country.