More Advice for Incoming MS-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbo

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to CCOM this fall. I currently live 45 minutes to an hour away from CCOM depending on traffic. Living at home would save me about $6,000 a year. Is it worth it? Or is 2 hours in the car lost time studying or relaxing from studying? Would it be a major disadvantage to be an hour away in regard to interacting with study groups and reviewing for lab classes? The advantages of home are good food, free living and family.

Members don't see this ad.

Columbo:

As an MS1 I there are days you don't get of gross lab untill after 5pm and your pretty much mentally fried and you need about an hour break. The question is do you want to take that hour fighting traffic? If that hour in the car is going to recharge your battery allowing you to study all night then do it, but I know that I would rather be lifting weights or running.

Get an apartment!!! You will miss out on a lot of med school by not having an apartment close to the school. All those class adventures afterhours, a short run home between classes when you forget that term paper at home. plus, 2 extra hours/day not spent in traffic. You can run home for dinner and then back to the school to study. ... An apartment will just give you more freedom.

You could save some money by sharing an apartment. Since your parents live nearby and you'll still probably be spending a great deal of time there, you really don't need a great apartment - Just someplace quick and convient nearby.

I also prefer to live close to school, because you will have the advantage to get access to the facilities easily.

However, living away from home also require you to take good care of yourself, such as you have to deal with all the finance issues, cooking, doing laundry etc.

The major advantage to live at home is your parents can help you with all the extra housework.

Why don't you try to stay home for the first semester and see how well you can manage. There is no good or bad for deciding to stay home. It only matters if staying home will bother your study.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited 03-21-99).]