MD & DO Minor academic integrity violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramzi741

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Have been accused with academic dishonesty from my professor due to suspicions of using an attendance code from class without actually being in class. I am trying to submit my applications this month in June, and don’t want to go through the 2 month appeal process. NOTHING is mentioned on my transcript from my university, but will be on my academic conduct record. Any recommendations moving forward?
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t ever tell an adcom that lying about completing a task is “minor”.

It’s a big deal. Now the doctors will ask themselves if you will be telling the truth when you say you checked the Tympanic membranes or called the consult or explained something to the patient. Lying is never minor

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, you are going to have to report it. Better fight it if you are not guilty of what you've been accused of and hope that applying 2 months from now after the appeal process is over doesn't hurt your chances. If you are a strong applicant, you should be as attractive in September as you would be in July or August. The cream always rises to the top.

On the other hand, if you do not prevail and have to apply with an IA for falsifying a record, you are going to need a few gap years before you apply as this sort of thing would be taken very, very seriously and many schools would want to see that you've learned from this mistake and matured before they will take you on. As @sb247 has suggested, the risks a med school takes with someone with a proven record of not telling the truth about having done something can have serious repercussions for patient care. No one will risk their medical license for someone who can't be honest about following through as directed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! Have been accused with academic dishonesty from my professor due to suspicions of using an attendance code from class without actually being in class. I am trying to submit my applications this month in June, and don’t want to go through the 2 month appeal process. NOTHING is mentioned on my transcript from my university, but will be on my academic conduct record. Any recommendations moving forward?
Thanks in advance.
If this is true, your medical career is is deep stasis.

IF you don't mention this in your app, and the med schools find out (and they will), then your medical career is over.

Check the box, explain, and most importantly, own it.

If it's true: a cheating IA is dire. Generally, five to ten years in some virtuous position of responsibility is necessary to rehabilitate individuals like this. Service as a military officer has been suggested once or twice for things of this magnitude. So has founding a nonprofit or spending five to ten years working as a teacher in an inner-city school district. Perhaps becoming a police officer or firefighter might work as well. Good luck!

Outright plagiarism; copying answers on tests, having someone write essays for you. The thing gained by your dishonesty was indeed relatively minor, which is why you have a shot at forgiveness. Maybe doing something like Peace Corps or Teach for America - or spending five years in some virtuous position of responsibility - could rehabilitate you. Probably no need to become Mother Teresa or a SEAL officer.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Not including IAs on your application can get your acceptance rescinded, or even get you kicked out of school. It is dishonesty. Worse, it is dishonesty that could easily have been material to your admission to medical school. Thus: you'll be seen as the cheater you would be (if you know this is an IA) and potentially be booted the hell out of school.

Hey all, thankfully I’ve gotten my academic dishonesty charged appealed in my favor :D. Thank you for the feedback!

Reactions: 1 users
So there is no IA on your record and it is as if this whole thing never even happened? It may be a good idea to get this in writing from the relevant authorities, maybe even to consult a lawyer. You are very likely in the clear, but misinterpreting things here could have potentially-devastating consequences.