Low stat WAMC and school list help, thank you!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoc149

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. sGPA: 3.448
    2. cGPA: 3.575
    3. Calculations are made by AMCAS standards, AACOMAS sGPA made minimal change, only dropped one 3 credit math course.
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts
    1. 03/24/2023: 494 (123/123/124/124); 09/09/2023: 493 (124/124/124/123/122); 03/22/2024: 504 (124/125/126/129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. Delaware, US citizen
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. State School
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Volunteer: 400
    2. Non-Volunteer Paid: 6500 (worked as a medical assistant beginnng of freshman year, now working as an office manager at the clinic, however still have a major clinical role)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 90 hours no publications, just a poster
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. Family medicine,Internal Med, Pediatrics. Total around 1600
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 300 hrs: Religious
    2. 17.5 hrs at a school run program asissting elderly with activities of daily living
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Office management position, volunteer coordinator for Making Docotors at my college. Not sure if it would count, but did help high school students with disabilities apply to colleges, meaningful to me because I met one of the physicians I shadowed this way.
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Got deans list like 4 semesters lol, best son award from my parents?
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. I am looking to apply to DO and MD, socially disadvantaged but willing to work extra hard to optimize chances. Strong story for wanting to pursue medicine.
Current school list (still researching some more MD)

DO Schools:
West Virgina COM, BUrrel COm, Lincoln Memorial University, Alabama COm, Noorda COM, PCOM, NYIT-COM, Incarnate Word, CCOM, ATSU, Marian Unviersity, WCU COM, Pikeville, VCOM, Des Moines University, Rush University, LECOM, Texas Christian University, Touro COM, Campbell University

MD Schools:
Marshall University, Michigan State University, Morehouse, University of Louisville, Central Michigan University, University of South Dakota, University of MIssouri-Kansas City, University of South Carolina, Northeast Ohio, University of Arizona College of Medicine. (Local schools that have an agreement with my college: Drexel, Pennsylvania State University, Sidney Kimmel, Lewis Katz, Geisinger. I am low stats here but worth a shot, ive spent money or more useless stuff than apps)

Yes! I know these are a lot, I am a pretty good writer, so I am not too worried about having to write secondaries, as I am pretty confident and have a decent amount of resources available to me. Thanks for taking the time to read, it really means a lot!!!

Members don't see this ad.

OP, what changed in your MCAT prep that resulted in an eleven point jump?
Changing up my study methods helped a lot. I started prioritizng practice as opposed to stuck being with content. I also took more breaks and made sure to spend time with my family, which in turned helped me study more effectively. Also, after the 2nd attempt I was distraught, I really aspire to be a physician, and so that also was a bigger motivator, knowing that this was one bridge I had to cross in order to achieve my dream in life. Another big thing, thinking about my parents sacrifice to allow me the opportunity to go to college, get a degree and be able to even take this exam, and the idea of doing poorly the third time around really motivated me.

Members don't see this ad :)
These schools take hardly any or zero OOS:
Marshall
U South Dakota
U South Carolina
NEomed
UMKC is almost all BS/MD entrants.
Morehouse is a historically Black school
TCU is an MD school not DO, but you could try it

Reactions: 1 user
These schools take hardly any or zero OOS:
Marshall
U South Dakota
U South Carolina
NEomed
UMKC is almost all BS/MD entrants.
Morehouse is a historically Black school
TCU is an MD school not DO, but you could try it
Would you say 25-30% OOS acceptance is low? I know my MCAT score and GPA are slightly lower so that would also make me a bit less competitive. Trying to figure out what to look for on MSAR

Would you say 25-30% OOS acceptance is low? I know my MCAT score and GPA are slightly lower so that would also make me a bit less competitive. Trying to figure out what to look for on MSAR
A lot of these things just take experience to know, but one thing you can do is scroll way down on the MSAR and look at the map of US states. You’ll see that U South Dakota and NEomed for instance take their OOS people mostly from bordering states.

You are competitive for DO schools and I suggest these:
NYITCOM (both schools)
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
DUQCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
AZCOM
CCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
For MD schools you could try these:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Geisinger
Belmont
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Vermont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of these things just take experience to know, but one thing you can do is scroll way down on the MSAR and look at the map of US states. You’ll see that U South Dakota and NEomed for instance take their OOS people mostly from bordering states.
Ahh I see what you mean now!! Thank you that is a game changer!

• Haha
You are competitive for DO schools and I suggest these:
NYITCOM (both schools)
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
DUQCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
CUSOM