IM-Peds residency for DO student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhDtoDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied as a DO to IM-Peds residencies or they know of DOs being accepted into IM-Peds residencies.

I got into both MD and DO programs, and I have planned on doing IM-peds but now I'm starting to worry that I will have problems with some programs...especially since I'm older and more inclined to have a geographical preference. St Louis University is the only program in Stlouis.

Any comments or suggestions. It's a ways off but I'm nervous.

Thanks

PhDtoDO

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there were four of us that matched allopathically in med/peds from VCOM......
YOU CAN DO IT

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Med/Peds resident at Indiana University and I know of a guy in our intern class that came from Des Moines. It's not that far from St. Louis.

Has anyone applied as a DO to IM-Peds residencies or they know of DOs being accepted into IM-Peds residencies.

I got into both MD and DO programs, and I have planned on doing IM-peds but now I'm starting to worry that I will have problems with some programs...especially since I'm older and more inclined to have a geographical preference. St Louis University is the only program in Stlouis.

Any comments or suggestions. It's a ways off but I'm nervous.

Thanks

PhDtoDO

I'm now a DO IM/Peds attending and I had no problem matching in an allopathic program. I think if you're a strong DO student being a DO isn't a disadvantage. I matched at an academic university program and although DOs were in the minority I was not the only one and my all DO all Med-Peds "power team" was pretty cool when I was an intern. Best of luck :luck:

I was 35 when I started residency. I suspect one or two interviewers had a problem with the DO thing. If you rank enough programs, you'll go somewhere you like.

And btw, there are at least 3 DO program directors of allopathic programs (MCW, Marshfield, Tulane).

I was 35 when I started residency. I suspect one or two interviewers had a problem with the DO thing. If you rank enough programs, you'll go somewhere you like.

And btw, there are at least 3 DO program directors of allopathic programs (MCW, Marshfield, Tulane).

:thumbup: Good point and honestly I think most programs either have a DO presence or have had strong DO residents that it really isn't an issue.