I heard AA has been banned. Why are we asked to write our race and ethnicity on WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dscmn

Reaction score
I heard the schools are no longer use race and ethnicity to access the applicants due to the banning of affirmative action.
However, why are people here still listing their race and ethnicity om WAMC? Are they still a factor?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the schools are no longer use race and ethnicity to access the applicants due to the banning of affirmative action.
However, why are people here still listing their race and ethnicity om WAMC? Are they still a factor?
You can list it or choose not to specify
Are you a current applicant? You’re posting a lot of questions like this, “I heard” or “what if”.
Searching for topics is going to be more helpful, and allow you to read recent discussions, than starting a new subject for each one.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
You can list it or choose not to specify
Are you a current applicant? You’re posting a lot of questions like this, “I heard” or “what if”.
Searching for topics is going to be more helpful, and allow you to read recent discussions, than starting a new subject for each one.
Hey!
I am basically an old guy just decided to apply to med schools in a near future.
I just started to study for MCAT and still need to take 4-6 more classes depending on what school I eventually decide to apply.
I have been asking alot of hypothetical question I guess since I am not a current applicant and rather am trying to gauge whether I have a good enough chance to get into a med school. This is more personal and not anyone's businese but this gauging is important for me as I am running out of time and money frankly.

Frankly, I have not done a research before asking this question I admit that.
I believe I have asked three more questions since I decided to join here: grad GPA, revealing a desire for dermatology during app (out of a pure curiosity), and major/school. For the first two, I couldn't find anything relevant and the for the last one, I was just hearing too many conflicting opinions.

I hope this explains a bit why I am asking these questions.. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!
I am basically an old guy just decided to apply to med schools in a near future.
I just started to study for MCAT and still need to take 4-6 more classes depending on what school I eventually decide to apply.
I have been asking alot of hypothetical question I guess since I am not a current applicant and rather am trying to gauge whether I have a good enough chance to get into a med school. This is more personal and not anyone's businese but this gauging is important for me as I am running out of time and money frankly.

Frankly, I have not done a research before asking this question I admit that.
I believe I have asked three more questions since I decided to join here: grad GPA, revealing a desire for dermatology during app (out of a pure curiosity), and major/school. For the first two, I couldn't find anything relevant and the for the last one, I was just hearing too many conflicting opinions.

I hope this explains a bit why I am asking these questions.. haha
Well good luck with your planning and I think the reason you aren’t getting much response to your questions is that they are hypothetical.

Reactions: 1 users
Well good luck with your planning and I think the reason you aren’t getting much response to your questions is that they are hypothetical.
I think I got about 4-5 replies each and I think that is enough for me!
I wanna thank yall for the help

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
Because we know that even if it's banned schools will continue to favor URMs

Reactions: 2 users
The data is still important. Every school is different, but I imagine it is something adcom are blind to now (if not before.)

The data is still important. Every school is different, but I imagine it is something adcom are blind to now (if not before.)
Lol, I can assure you this is not the case. At least at 90% of schools adcoms will still see and factor in race.

You heard wrong. The only thing that was disallowed was strict and specific racial quotas. Adcoms are still allowed to use racial background in the context of evaluating applicants and are still allowed to have class diversity as an overall goal during the admissions process.

Basically, as of now, nothing has functionally changed about race and its impact on the admissions process besides maybe some technicalities about wording when admissions committees convene. From the applicant end everything is the exact same.

The way this person writes reminds me of the banned account @carw1801
Oh well sorry for my crappy English if that is what you are referring to. It is my second language haha.

I mean after hearing all these replies, I guess I kinda regret asking this in the first place. The answer might have been obvious. To me, laws prohibiting having certain intention always sounded useless. For instance, someone doxxed me and almost figured out where I live. He was told me "make sure to lock your doors at night" and how he likes to collect fatal weapons. Obviously a messed up thing and went to a police station. The officer lectured me 20 minutes over how such thing is merely an empty threat unless someone specifically says time and location of the planned murder while showing a picture of a gun. Sounds like you can do whatever you want and still stay out of legal troubles so easily.

I guess at the end of the day the court ruling may have just been a symbolic political proclamation that has not changed anything. Good news for some. Bad news for some.

Please read the SCOTUS decision which gives allowance to applicants to talk about their lived experiences.

Furthermore, California public schools have been operating similarly for 20+ years (race/ethnicity is not allowed to be considered in admissions decisions). This is not new.

Please read the SCOTUS decision which gives allowance to applicants to talk about their lived experiences.

Furthermore, California public schools have been operating similarly for 20+ years (race/ethnicity is not allowed to be considered in admissions decisions). This is not new.
I heard after the California's decision the saturation amongst the certain race got more saturated.

I heard after the California's decision the saturation amongst the certain race got more saturated.