Hospitals where PICU attendings care for congenital heart disease?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Does anyone have examples of academic hospitals where PICU attendings [who did not undergo further training in CVICU or cardiology] care for at least a moderate volume of kids with congenital heart disease (from just overnight coverage, to actually rounding and being the ICU attending for them), including single ventricles, cardiac ECMO, or heart transplants?

Is this structure more common in mixed units, or in places where the pediatric cardiac ICU is more under the umbrella of pediatric critical care?

I'm aware that it is becoming more common for pediatric CVICUs to be dedicated and separate from PICUs. But as a PICU fellow, I would love to know if there's an option to care for critically ill children/babies with congenital heart disease (as I'm deciding whether to pursue further cardiac training or not).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone have examples of academic hospitals where PICU attendings [who did not undergo further training in CVICU or cardiology] care for at least a moderate volume of kids with congenital heart disease (from just overnight coverage, to actually rounding and being the ICU attending for them), including single ventricles, cardiac ECMO, or heart transplants?

Is this structure more common in mixed units, or in places where the pediatric cardiac ICU is more under the umbrella of pediatric critical care?

I'm aware that it is becoming more common for pediatric CVICUs to be dedicated and separate from PICUs. But as a PICU fellow, I would love to know if there's an option to care for critically ill children/babies with congenital heart disease (as I'm deciding whether to pursue further cardiac training or not).
Almost no place that is serious about taking care of complex CHD patients would have less trained individuals doing that.

That being said, I've occasionally taken shifts in the CVICU during the day time. But there are more experienced attendings that I can bounce things off and NPs that pretty much run the show anyway and know all the protocols. They just need a warm body to sign the notes. None of this is because they want this system though, its strictly a monetary/personnel issue. And of course, one could question how serious we are about taking care of CHD for doing so and it would be a valid question.