Healthcare management, leadership, QI tracks in IM residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seminomapsammomacytoma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Anyone familiar with IM residency programs with administration related tracks? For instance, I know Duke has the "Management and Leadership Pathway." Any other analogous tracks? Or alternatively, programs which have strong/ reputable cost/quality improvement centers that residents can work in?

Members don't see this ad.

I would argue that residency isn't the time to focus on this kind of thing. You're far more likely to get a good experience doing this kind of training/education when you're not also trying to figure out how to keep people from dying, despite their own best efforts.

Residency should be for clinical learning and experience. Worry about the administrative stuff later.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, Anyone familiar with IM residency programs with administration related tracks? For instance, I know Duke has the "Management and Leadership Pathway." Any other analogous tracks? Or alternatively, programs which have strong/ reputable cost/quality improvement centers that residents can work in?
Hopkins has a new track called QI and patient safety. The field was essentially pioneered by Pronovost and you get to work with him. Also can get a focus in this outside the track if you want through the Armstrong institute.

http://m.hopkinsmedicine.org/Medicine/hstrainingprogram/overview/pathways/pathways.html

Many would say it's the place to be for this and you can go onto further training at the Armstrong Institute during or after training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopkins has a new track called QI and patient safety. The field was essentially pioneered by Pronovost and you get to work with him. Also can get a focus in this outside the track if you want through the Armstrong institute.

http://m.hopkinsmedicine.org/Medicine/hstrainingprogram/overview/pathways/pathways.html

Many would say it's the place to be for this and you can go onto further training at the Armstrong Institute during or after training.

Thank-you, I will look further into this track and the Armstrong Institute.

I would argue that residency isn't the time to focus on this kind of thing. You're far more likely to get a good experience doing this kind of training/education when you're not also trying to figure out how to keep people from dying, despite their own best efforts.

Residency should be for clinical learning and experience. Worry about the administrative stuff later.

I certainly see the validity in this argument. I do, however, sense a growing emphasis on "high value care" throughout the entire MD training process, and I welcome this trend. However, I don't want this to digress into a discussion of the merits of administrative training during residency, but simply an account of what's available.

Do a GIM fellowship. In residency get involved in research and qi though

My program has a leadership pathway. It is reserved for the people who wants to be chief residents. We only have 5 people each year and like only 2 people go for it each year

I have the same interest, which prompted me to apply to a few residencies with an interest of this sort. They are all very competitive programs in nature though. Here's a list in no particular order

university of colorado
bringham (has a 4year IM/MBA option at HBS)
mount sinai
penn
dartmouth
duke
tufts baystate (the least competitive of the bunch?)

I have the same interest, which prompted me to apply to a few residencies with an interest of this sort. They are all very competitive programs in nature though. Here's a list in no particular order

university of colorado
bringham (has a 4year IM/MBA option at HBS)
mount sinai
penn
dartmouth
duke
tufts baystate (the least competitive of the bunch?)

I really appreciate your response. I know it must have taken a good chunk of homework to find these programs. Best of luck in the application process.

I am also interested in leadership/management/business....but realized most of these tracks are at top programs, thus not for me. There is one at Deleware(can't remember the name of the program, but you can google it) and Vidant Health/Carolinas also has a 1 year admin fellowship. If you are a competitive applicant, Brigham's program is solid and you get a MBA(from Harvard) and residency training at pedigreed institutions.

north shore lij has a one year healthcare executive fellowship for after residency

just an fyi that I had not realized is that these pathways/programs generally only accept people with MBA, MPH, etc degrees already. that was disappointing for me. I was assured that there are exceptions for "life experience" similar to that of an mba, mph, or master of public policy but that they just hadn't seen it happen yet.

I would mainly look at the types of additional mentorship the track offers. You likely won't be able to spend too much time on non clinical work as a resident, but getting things started, focusing your interests, and building connections can be invaluable during residency, so ask yourself if those tracks will help you accomplish those goals.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm going to have to disagree with my geriatric colleague ;) ...this outlook is fine for intern year but during your junior and senior resident years you should focus on finding your niche whether that's doing research, getting experience in clinical education, getting global health experience, or as in this case making connections and learning about QI and healthcare administration. If you already have a strong interest in that it behooves you to go to a program that already has an established mechanism for making connections and providing you the requisite skills.

I agree that a combined one of the MPA or MPH or MBA track is an awesome idea during residency. Why bother delaying it till later?

Because, so as to make increase the educational value of the degree, you want it to be as relevant to what you are doing as possible. Getting an MBA early on is fine (I did a combined MD/MBA), as it provides great complementary education , but in comparison, the attendings who were in the executive night program at my school were probably getting more bang for their buck since they already had administrative/clinical experience and had much clearer ideas on what they wanted their business training to accomplish.

I'm pretty sure by now I've forgotten most of the accounting and finance I learned first year of b school. I think the healthcare fellowship programs are the best option, in that they are short (1 year) and can be done after completing a full IM residency so as to not skimp on the clinical training.