GLP 1 agonists and gastric emptying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Colleagues have told me they’ve done gastric POCUS and seen full stomachs 12 hrs after last meal. I treat an patient on them as full stomachs.

Reactions: 6 users
Colleagues have told me they’ve done gastric POCUS and seen full stomachs 12 hrs after last meal. I treat an patient on them as full stomachs.

Are there any updated guidelines for these patients? Until then, I’ll just wait 8hrs, GA/ETT/RSI everyone until further notice.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Colleagues have told me they’ve done gastric POCUS and seen full stomachs 12 hrs after last meal. I treat a patient on them as full stomachs.
Probably selection bias as most patients on these meds already have bmi greater than 30 (more likely bmi 35 or higher plus other co morbidities) like diabetes.

The inverse is true when the gi reps tried to show me gastric pocus that showed no difference in residual gastric contents show they could SHORTEN THE COLON PREP NPO status. And then I looked at their data and their average size of the women was 164 pounds and the average size of their men in their study was 192 pounds.

Duh. They were having selection bias by choosing patients less likely to have gastric delayed emptying times so they could say to use their gi split prep within 2 hours of anesthesia.