For those of you who failed Step 1, how kind was the match to you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

repoetic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think about applying for residencies but I'm feeling pretty worried with everything I read on here about trying to match with a failing Step 1 score. Some people are saying you really can't be particular about where in the country you end up and, if you fail Step 1, you're really looking at programs that are seen as undesirable. For context, I'm a US MD from an average public school wanting to do IM. A good amount of research experience but no publications and haven't taken Step 2 yet. I passed Step 1 on my second attempt. I have passing scores in all my clerkships, except a "conditional passing" score in one.

I'm trying to match in either the DC area or Chicago, which I know are pretty competitive areas. I just wonder if I'm as doomed as I feel like I am sometimes and how realistic my expectations of matching into either of those areas are. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

This is 100% relevant to me

I am exactly in the same shoes as you. I ended up getting a couple interviews (low tier academic, mid tier community programs)

Applied broadly. Matched at my number 3 choice.
Can you do away rotation?
Connections can be helpful.

In residency I could’ve matched into GI (had the application) but decided to do PCP. No one after getting into residency ever asked after step 1- but it will definitely hinder fellowship, but not impossible

Good luck.

Pm if you want help!

Reactions: 1 user
I know people who have failed in step 1 and still got into residency. I know people who have failed in all steps and still got critical care fellowship after residency. But being an US MD this is definitely not usual turf, as this is not normal. Residency for you is still possible but its going to take a bit of proving yourself with your rest of the step scores. Brace yourself for the worst experiences until you get your spot. DC/Chicago or even major metros is almost out of the equation for you now due heavy influx of better scoring IMGs. But becoming a doctor is still possible, probably your chances for residencies is not in major cities.

I'm starting to think about applying for residencies but I'm feeling pretty worried with everything I read on here about trying to match with a failing Step 1 score. Some people are saying you really can't be particular about where in the country you end up and, if you fail Step 1, you're really looking at programs that are seen as undesirable. For context, I'm a US MD from an average public school wanting to do IM. A good amount of research experience but no publications and haven't taken Step 2 yet. I passed Step 1 on my second attempt. I have passing scores in all my clerkships, except a "conditional passing" score in one.

I'm trying to match in either the DC area or Chicago, which I know are pretty competitive areas. I just wonder if I'm as doomed as I feel like I am sometimes and how realistic my expectations of matching into either of those areas are. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Probably looking at lower tier community IM programs for the most part. The ones that have mainly IMGs and DOs. This is assuming you do as at least decent on Step 2. Being a USMD will still help get in somewhere but you can't be picky about location (a DO or IMG in a similar situation would probably be much more screwed). Would apply very broadly (over 100 programs). Unfortunately most decent IM programs will filter out anyone who failed Step 1 or Step 2 on the first attempt.