Drexel vs. UConn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cynicalcatlady

MS3
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Drexel
Pros:
- Proximity to my SO (living in Philly now, we are looking at homes together right now)
- Prefer the curriculum
Cons:
- Cost
- Ranking not so great (I know this isn't important)

UCONN
Pros:
- My family lives in CT, would be closer to them
- Cheaper tuition
Cons:
- Don't like the new curriculum very much
- The location: there is not much to do there
- Probably would end up breaking with my SO if I go here.

Summary: I am leaning towards Drexel, but have reservations because UCONN seems like a "better" school and may give me better opportunities. I worry that my opportunities would be limited more if I selected Drexel. I also worry that I could be choosing Drexel for the wrong reasons.
Accepted students day is coming up for UCONN and I am not sure if I want to go (take the weekend off of work, make arrangements, etc) if I don't want to go there...

I also have another interview in two weeks that I am excited for that may change things.

Members don't see this ad.

Both are great schools. You won't be limited by selecting Drexel and it sounds like you would be a better fit there. Are you IS at UConn? I have a friend at Drexel and she loves it there because Philly presents so many opportunities

Both are great schools. You won't be limited by selecting Drexel and it sounds like you would be a better fit there. Are you IS at UConn? I have a friend at Drexel and she loves it there because Philly presents so many opportunities

I think so but I am not 100 percent certain because my living situation is a bit weird (went to school in PA, stayed after graduation, I'd have to communicate with the schools and see if I would be IS.) But for the sake of this we can just assume I would get that sweet in state tuition that makes going OOS much harder.

Thanks for your response! I definitely think I would prefer living in Philly to living in Farmington.

I don't think you would be limited at all going to Drexel over UConn.. they are pretty similar schools. It sounds like you would be happier st Drexel, so I would go there

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can see why DUCOM's cost is a deterrent, it is expensive. But I in no way feel that going to Drexel is limiting in anyway as far as opportunities are concerned.

Reactions: 1 users
I can see why DUCOM's cost is a deterrent, it is expensive. But I in no way feel that going to Drexel is limiting in anyway as far as opportunities are concerned.
Thank you very much! It's definitely helpful to have some outside perspectives to consider. :)

Thank you very much! It's definitely helpful to have some outside perspectives to consider. :)

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about DUCOM. I have a physiology final friday and I am clearly procrastinating lol.

I'm going to play devil's advocate since most people here are convinced about Drexel. The cost differential between the two is extreme, especially considering UConn is very generous about your living expenses. You're looking at over 100K as a difference which is huge once you factor interest. Go to second look at UConn. I have a lot of friends who changed their minds about schools after attending Second Look Days and learning more about the school.

Additionally, is Drexel P/F preclinical? Because UConn is unranked P/F preclinical which is something that shouldn't be underestimated.

I'm going to play devil's advocate since most people here are convinced about Drexel. The cost differential between the two is extreme, especially considering UConn is very generous about your living expenses. You're looking at over 100K as a difference which is huge once you factor interest. Go to second look at UConn. I have a lot of friends who changed their minds about schools after attending Second Look Days and learning more about the school.

Additionally, is Drexel P/F preclinical? Because UConn is unranked P/F preclinical which is something that shouldn't be underestimated.
Very true. Maybe I will go to one day of the second look. I think that could give me a good impression of the school. The cost difference seems pretty large, but I don't think I will have a difficult time paying it off. I mean, it's going to be sort of awful but, oh well. If I am careful with spending and wise with my money I should be okay.

It seems that the poll is split 50/50. Anyone else who voted for Uconn can you please elaborate why?

*shrugs* I don't even really know for sure. But for sure, nobody talks about it so nobody is worrying about it.
When I interviewed there everyone said they are still internal ranking pre-clinical for the dean's letter. So there's that, I'm glad it doesn't affect the culture of the school

Anyone else have any opinions? It seems like UConn has a lot of votes but people aren't being too vocal about it.

I think I may be a better fit for Drexel, but would still like to hear other opinions!

Anyone else have any opinions? It seems like UConn has a lot of votes but people aren't being too vocal about it.

I think I may be a better fit for Drexel, but would still like to hear other opinions!

I think something to really consider is class size. Uconn's class size is probably half of drexel's class size. I think this gives you a lot more opportunity to build close relationships with physicians and professors, as well as opportunity for research. UConn does have a lot of research and with the small class size it should be easy to find. I personally think UConn would present you with more opportunities.

Also no internal ranking is huge in my opinion

I think something to really consider is class size. Uconn's class size is probably half of drexel's class size. I think this gives you a lot more opportunity to build close relationships with physicians and professors, as well as opportunity for research. UConn does have a lot of research and with the small class size it should be easy to find. I personally think UConn would present you with more opportunities.
That is something I didn't think about! Thank you!