Dartmouth vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhEmDee

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both schools are similar in terms of how they run their classes/curriculum

Dartmouth

Pros:
More well known to residency directors
Relatively better match list for surgical specialties (my interest)
More research opps
More individualized
The MBA at Tuck is really prestigious and is something I might pursue (+40k in costs)

Cons:
Location really sucks, I really hate the cold. I think people are generally inside studying but Hanover is so isolated and dull I just can't see myself enjoying that aspect.
Total COA is 40k/y
Not sure how happy the students are
Lack of diversity in the population so maybe a weaker clinical experience

Tulane

Pros:
Total COA is 15k/y
I like warm weather and I loved the people, students, and location. New Orleans is fun as hell and I'd more likely be happy here.
Diverse community and clinical cases
The students are happy and the faculty is super supportive
More community/service based opportunities

Con:
No strong research opps
Business school is not as reputable (?)
Not sure how prestigious it is, how well known it is, and how well it does in terms of matching.

Summary:

I conflicted as to if I should just push through miserably for 2 years at Hanover. With the better recognition, match list, and MBA, Dartmouth seems to be better for my career, but I don't know by how much. I'm leaning towards Tulane since I keep reading that where you go doesn't matter that much, so I might as well go to a school where I would be happy. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A win-win. What do you want other than surgery?

An MD degree will potentially get you into ANY residency specialty (not necessarily program), and both schools are good schools. It is hard to argue with 20k less per year especially because it sounds like the better fit for you. The only reason I would consider Dartmouth is if you are keen on academic medicine > clinical medicine. Do you want to be the best clinical *insert specialty here* in *insert town here* doctor there is? Then hell, go to Tulane. Do you want to be the joints doc at Rush designing the next knee replacement? Do you want to be the nsgry attending at Barrow putting out 30+ pubs a year? Maybe think more carefully...

A win-win. What do you want other than surgery?

An MD degree will potentially get you into ANY residency specialty (not necessarily program), and both schools are good schools. It is hard to argue with 20k less per year especially because it sounds like the better fit for you. The only reason I would consider Dartmouth is if you are keen on academic medicine > clinical medicine. Do you want to be the best clinical *insert specialty here* in *insert town here* doctor there is? Then hell, go to Tulane. Do you want to be the joints doc at Rush designing the next knee replacement? Do you want to be the nsgry attending at Barrow putting out 30+ pubs a year? Maybe think more carefully...

I know its too soon to say, but I'm interested in something like Ortho, which is difficult in any school. I'm not interested in research really, but I do want to innovate new methods of treatment. A part of me is saying that I can still do great things at Tulane and match well with my own effort, but I don't know what doors would be open for me at Dartmouth. It's also conflicting to read that school prestige is like ranked 25/38 or something in terms of importance, but then reading about residency applicants who wish they had gone to more prestigious schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't go wrong with either. I'd say only attend Dartmouth if you can see yourself being happy there. Happy enough to be functional, you don't have to fall in love with it. The prestige/connections is valuable, but not at the cost of your well-being imo.

You can't go wrong with either. I'd say only attend Dartmouth if you can see yourself being happy there. Happy enough to be functional, you don't have to fall in love with it. The prestige/connections is valuable, but not at the cost of your well-being imo.

How much would you say the environment and location goes into your experience as a medical student?

How much would you say the environment and location goes into your experience as a medical student?

If it's bad enough, it can affect your mental health, which can affect your performance. Depends on what you want your med school experience to be; do you want to be heavily involved with the school and greater community, or just show up, study and do lab/hospital work, go home. People from all careers can do just fine in a city that they just mildly dislike, but beyond a certain extent it starts actively taking a toll and makes you unhappy. At that stage, no amount of prestige is worth it imo.

Re: some of your Dartmouth cons, I can assure you that the clinical experiences at an Ivy will be fantastic. As for things to do in Hanover, remember that you won't be alone, you'll have a student body full of like-minded people. There will still be plenty of opportunities to go out on the town and do whatever. But yes, it probably won't be as vibrant as Nola.

Last edited: