Away rotations in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caedmon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys see many US med students doing away rotations up north? My wife's family lives in Thunder Bay, and they have a pretty sweet hospital going up. I'm interested in doing an away rotation up there, and would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You need to contact one of the Canadian universities in order to arrange a rotation in Canada.
UBC lets you do rotations in BC, check the website out. Seems like alot of paperwork and fees.
U of Calgary isn't allowing US students to do rotations there right now. On the website it says you can do a rotation there for $400/month, but I talked to them and they said that they aren't allowing it right now.
U of Alberta doesn't take foreign students.
U of Manitoba is very friendly. I am going to Winnipeg to do a rotation in April.
I am not sure of the Ontario schools. I think for ThunderBay you should check out Western's website.

Thanks for the info Clue, I'll investigate it further. Sounds like it may be a little pricey. Are these fees US or Canadian dollars?

Members don't see this ad :)
They usually ask for Canadian dollars.

For AMGs, as far as I know, in Ontario you are treated the same as Canadians. I have met several elective students from the US. However I do not know what the deal is for FMG / Carrib students -- have never seen one on a clinical.