Advice on Transferring to Caribbean School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theResilient

Reaction score
Greetings forum members once again. The last 2 times I posted, it was regarding my unjust dismissal from a US medical school (if anyone wishes to know which one, PM me). As you can see if you review my prior threads, you'll see that many express doubt over my claims. Well, just recently I filed a FERPA request and got my confidential records from the school. The official decision to dismiss me after my successful completion of my 2nd year was based on "an evaluation and discussion of [my] entire academic record/progress..." This clearly rules out the possibility that I was dismissed over concerns of professionalism or moral behavior and, since I didn't fail any courses that year (I only failed anatomy my first year) and was able to register for Step 1 (until I was officially dismissed, of course), one can only conclude that the reason behind my dismissal was surreptitious and unjust, as I stated in my prior threads. I plan on again looking at legal options in the near future with this evidence but that's a different story. With the facts I stated in mind, however, please give me your advice on moving forward with the following option. After communicating with Xavier university school of medicine in Aruba and providing all pertinent pieces of evidence backing my claim they decided to allow me to transfer all of my credits from my school, basically making me a year 3 student. All I have to do is pass Step 1 and I'll start rotations (they're making me go to Aruba for 4 months if I accept to study). If I pass Step 1, finish my rotations and do well on Step 2, what are my chances in getting matched in family medicine, IM, or OB/GYN, especially with this dismissal on my record? Will they allow me the opportunity to explain the circumstances, like I did here and with Xavier? Or will that automatically X me out, unless I have a stellar, near perfect record moving forward? I have admission to a low ranking law school but they've given me 2 large scholarships and I feel confident that I could transfer next year if I grind out and score well so I'm not just asking with my mind already made up. And please no assumptions, those who are very knowledgeable of what is being looked at during the matching process please reply

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Usually, I would say stay far away from Caribbean schools, but if they are allowing you to start where you left off as a 3rd year student, I’d say that’s a hell of a deal. I mean what do you have to lose at this point (besides money). As long as you stay realistic with your chances moving forward, I don’t see why not. With your dismissal record plus coming from the Caribbean as an IMG, you might find it difficult to match into residency, but there are usually plenty of IM and FM spots in the match, so I’m sure you’ll find a program willing to hire you. Your chances are probably still fair for these 2 specialties. However, you can probably forget about OBGYN. It’s a bloodbath even for competitive US students in good standing.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree that OB is unlikely given your plan. Although competitiveness of spots fluctuates over time, unclear how competitive it will be 2 years from now. But there are FM programs that have some training in OB.

If you do well at Xavier, it's likely you'd be able to get an IM or FM spot -- probably a community based program.

Not sure that your FERPA obtained record is the smoking gun you suggest. Professionalism issues are considered part of your academic performance when in school. Academic performance is more than just grades. But, will totally depend on the actual documentation and facts, and I wish you the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that OB is unlikely given your plan. Although competitiveness of spots fluctuates over time, unclear how competitive it will be 2 years from now. But there are FM programs that have some training in OB.

If you do well at Xavier, it's likely you'd be able to get an IM or FM spot -- probably a community based program.

Not sure that your FERPA obtained record is the smoking gun you suggest. Professionalism issues are considered part of your academic performance when in school. Academic performance is more than just grades. But, will totally depend on the actual documentation and facts, and I wish you the best.
The record echoed up comments made by the vice dean and my advisor leading up to the dismissal. I was never reprimanded nor warned about any professionalism concerns so if that was indeed the reason, it was never stated to me nor in my files. And thanks

Usually, I would say stay far away from Caribbean schools, but if they are allowing you to start where you left off as a 3rd year student, I’d say that’s a hell of a deal. I mean what do you have to lose at this point (besides money). As long as you stay realistic with your chances moving forward, I don’t see why not. With your dismissal record plus coming from the Caribbean as an IMG, you might find it difficult to match into residency, but there are usually plenty of IM and FM spots in the match, so I’m sure you’ll find a program willing to hire you. Your chances are probably still fair for these 2 specialties. However, you can probably forget about OBGYN. It’s a bloodbath even for competitive US students in good standing.
Ah ok. Thanks for the advice, I'm surprised about OBGYN though

Consider contacting podiatry schools to see if you might transfer. They are in the states, they do surgery and are re imbursed the same as ortho. In other words, they make bank. And... you wont have to kill yourself trying to get high Step scores.If you like surgery, it's something to consider.

I suspect they just want to take your money, and the odds of you successfully passing step 1 four years after your dismissal is extremely low. However, at least if you're going to fail you'll likely "fail fast" and only be out whatever money it costs you to move to Aruba and whatever tuition they charge you to study... so I guess that's a plus? If you can indeed pass step 1 then I suppose you have a shot. Up to you.

I also echo that these records likely do not indicate that you have a legal recourse. This would probably be an even less fruitful place to spend your money. But it is your money and time.

I suspect they just want to take your money, and the odds of you successfully passing step 1 four years after your dismissal is extremely low. However, at least if you're going to fail you'll likely "fail fast" and only be out whatever money it costs you to move to Aruba and whatever tuition they charge you to study... so I guess that's a plus? If you can indeed pass step 1 then I suppose you have a shot. Up to you.

I also echo that these records likely do not indicate that you have a legal recourse. This would probably be an even less fruitful place to spend your money. But it is your money and time.
Yeah, I think I can l study well enough to pass step 1 by January, I like those odds a lot

Yes, most schools will randomly select one student per year to dismiss for no reason. It's sort of a reverse lottery.
You're joking but aye man. If you look at my first thread, you'll see that I angered the right people in the administration

• Okay...
Greetings forum members once again. The last 2 times I posted, it was regarding my unjust dismissal from a US medical school (if anyone wishes to know which one, PM me). As you can see if you review my prior threads, you'll see that many express doubt over my claims. Well, just recently I filed a FERPA request and got my confidential records from the school. The official decision to dismiss me after my successful completion of my 2nd year was based on "an evaluation and discussion of [my] entire academic record/progress..." This clearly rules out the possibility that I was dismissed over concerns of professionalism or moral behavior and, since I didn't fail any courses that year (I only failed anatomy my first year) and was able to register for Step 1 (until I was officially dismissed, of course), one can only conclude that the reason behind my dismissal was surreptitious and unjust, as I stated in my prior threads. I plan on again looking at legal options in the near future with this evidence but that's a different story. With the facts I stated in mind, however, please give me your advice on moving forward with the following option. After communicating with Xavier university school of medicine in Aruba and providing all pertinent pieces of evidence backing my claim they decided to allow me to transfer all of my credits from my school, basically making me a year 3 student. All I have to do is pass Step 1 and I'll start rotations (they're making me go to Aruba for 4 months if I accept to study). If I pass Step 1, finish my rotations and do well on Step 2, what are my chances in getting matched in family medicine, IM, or OB/GYN, especially with this dismissal on my record? Will they allow me the opportunity to explain the circumstances, like I did here and with Xavier? Or will that automatically X me out, unless I have a stellar, near perfect record moving forward? I have admission to a low ranking law school but they've given me 2 large scholarships and I feel confident that I could transfer next year if I grind out and score well so I'm not just asking with my mind already made up. And please no assumptions, those who are very knowledgeable of what is being looked at during the matching process please reply
Did you finally choose on Xavier? I’m taking a serious look at them although I hear otherwise everywhere. I’m insiste why but well. I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place when considering medicine or law. Two very opposite poles for me with a medical preference.

Seriously considering Xavier. Is it worth considering at all, especially if all I see is IM or FM? I see their match record and while possibly not stellar, there are others. Thoughts on this?

What are your thoughts on Xavier overall? I see matches that seem more viable than only IM or FM? How plausible can that really be?

You're hijacking someone else's thread, which isn't a great idea. The OP's situation is likely completely different from yours.

In general, going to medical school in the Carib is a fair to poor plan with a high risk of disaster. Going to Xavier is a terrible plan as a poorly performing school.

Here's the most recent info from the World directory:

YearAdmittedGraduated

80% of people apparently fail out or otherwise never make it to graduation. If those seem like good odds to you, be my guest.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users