2023-2024 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any info on the NY hub sites. Is it application based? Is it competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any info on the NY hub sites. Is it application based? Is it competitive?

It is application based but it is not competitive. From what I've read on other posts, the quality of the NY hub site is not very good, and often times you end up doing menial work during your time there.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is application based but it is not competitive. From what I've read on other posts, the quality of the NY hub site is not very good, and often times you end up doing menial work during your time there.
What are the good clinical sites?
all the sites are good and thats a little bit of a misrepresentation ny hubsite in my opinion! there are more residents and med students at the NY hubsite for sure so there will of course be less procedures, etc. that you'll be doing. part of being a 3rd year med student is doing menial tasks. all the hubsites are good; different hubsites are just gonna be more well suited for different students. also for reference it is in far rockaway.

that said while the ny hubsite is definitely attractive for a lot of people from the NE, definitely don't come to WCUCOM just because they have the NY hubsite. this year it was not very competitive, but you have to keep in mind it'll be 2+ years before you would apply, and things can change a lot in that time frame. it is not a guarantee and if you can't reasonably see yourself doing your 3rd year rotations in the gulf south, i wouldn't come here!

Can I ask why? I am deciding between kansas-com and WCUCOM
kcom is way newer, has had some attrition issues, and has matched fewer classes. general advice is to go with the older more established school, but obviously its gonna be different student to student!

Reactions: 1 users
kcom is way newer, has had some attrition issues, and has matched fewer classes. general advice is to go with the older more established school, but obviously its gonna be different student to student!
Do you have any say with RVUCOM and WCUCOM and associated rotations?

Accepted OOS applicant!!

What is the turn around time for deposit receipt with the wire transfer option? Assuming it would be faster then mailing in a money order

Last edited:
Accepted OOS applicant!!

What is the turn around time for deposit receipt with the wire transfer option? Assuming it would be faster then mailing in a money order
Congrats! When was your interview?

I saw the COA was around 85-90k. I'm assuming this is an overestimation. I know it'll be different person to person, but how much are current students really taking out?

I received a call this morning saying i got an interview and someone would be emailing me the details. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive that information? thanks!

How did you guys book the drug test? I bought it from U.S drug testing center and had mine done today at Quest Diagnostics but they told me that they can not directly send the results to the school instead I will have to give a medical release form to fax the school. However, WCUCOM states that they want it sent directly? Did anyone have this issue? I don’t want to waste $100 for no reason while having to take the test again.
did you get more clarification on how to get results sent directly to the school? and for any current students, if we get the drug test done at LabCorp, are they able to send it directly to the school at our request?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a call this morning saying i got an interview and someone would be emailing me the details. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive that information? thanks!
Adcom is pretty quick in their communications, should be receiving mostly in a day

I also received this call. The lady on the phone made it seem like I would get an email soon. I don’t know for sure though

I got a call too today for interview. Waiting for the email. If the class is already full, what are the chances of getting acceptance ?

Do you have any say with RVUCOM and WCUCOM and associated rotations?
i have some friends at RVUCOM and they've had a good experience, that's really all i know... that said RVUCOM is for profit which is a red flag for some people... i think my biggest red flags with RVUCOM would be the montana campus cause its so new but then also the fact that denver is like literally 4x more expensive that southern mississippi

Does anyone know if there is GPA requirement in current coursework to maintain after an acceptance?

For current students:
are there any resources we should study before starting in the Fall? Should I start reading any books or anki cards?

For current students:
are there any resources we should study before starting in the Fall? Should I start reading any books or anki cards?
you should read any fun books you want this summer! which is kind of tongue and cheek but i do think reading for fun and getting your attention span attuned heading into medical school is actually worth it! get your affairs in order with respect to housing, car, health stuff, dental stuff, family stuff, etc. honestly i'd also reccomen to anyone 2-3 sessions of therapy to get your mental health in check before starting too.

as far as actual med school content, it would be a sheer waste of time. anyone who tells you otherwise does not have your best interest at heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
What would you recommend studying for the interview as a resource? Also, were you placed on WL or just the post interview decision took that long?
You can refer to wcucom SDN interview questions and ethical questions

How did you guys book the drug test? I bought it from U.S drug testing center and had mine done today at Quest Diagnostics but they told me that they can not directly send the results to the school instead I will have to give a medical release form to fax the school. However, WCUCOM states that they want it sent directly? Did anyone have this issue? I don’t want to waste $100 for no reason while having to take the test again.
hey! i did it through quest diagnostic as well and if you sign up for an account with them (its free) you can not only see your results but directly email it from quest to whoever you want.

What would you recommend studying for the interview as a resource? Also, were you placed on WL or just the post interview decision took that long?
there's a YouTube video with some good questions and used sdn for basic questions.....class filled up same week of my interview...was placed on alt list 3 days after interview

OOS A off the Alt list. Placed on alt list about a week ago, Interview end of april! Sub 500 MCAT :)

Reactions: 3 users
I know that wcucom is P/F, but are there class rankings or honors involved?

I know that wcucom is P/F, but are there class rankings or honors involved?
as it stands quartile % class rank. we have SSP honors society (which is kinda a joke... its like the osteopathic version of AOA but no one really puts weight in it lol) but other than that nothing!

Received an email with acceptance! Interview 5/3

I am already accepted and am taking the CASPER test Tuesday. I was just wondering if it is a pass/fail or how do they grade it? If so, how does WCUCOM use the CASPER test for someone already accepted?

I am already accepted and am taking the CASPER test Tuesday. I was just wondering if it is a pass/fail or how do they grade it? If so, how does WCUCOM use the CASPER test for someone already accepted?
Your results will be given as a quartile (Q1-Q4). The higher the quartile the better you did compared to others who took casper. I don't think they would revoke your acceptance even if you don't do that well.

Aside from labs, are most lectures recorded/non-mandatory? How many lectures are mandatory and require in-person attendance?

Do you know how many days we will have to attend?
First semester of OMS1 was usually 4-5 days a week, this semester has been more like 3-4 days a week and occasionally 5. Usually there's only 1-3 mandatory hours each day. I believe OMS2 is fairly similar, around 3-5 days a week.

First semester of OMS1 was usually 4-5 days a week, this semester has been more like 3-4 days a week and occasionally 5. Usually there's only 1-3 mandatory hours each day. I believe OMS2 is fairly similar, around 3-5 days a week.
OMS2 is way more mandatory attendance that OMS1. as it stands we had 80/20 mandatory attendance for the first 3 blocks each semester for a class that meets 8-11 monday, 8-12 tuesday, and 8-11 friday. Wednesdays you have mandatory ultrasound in the morning and mandatory small group and patient encounters in the afternoon. Thursday is mandatory opp for 2 horus. if you have above an 80% exam average after the 3rd block you no longer have to go to that class which frees you up a lot but getting an 80% exam average is pretty tough. i would say only 20% of my class got it fall semester.

Reactions: 2 users
OMS2 is way more mandatory attendance that OMS1. as it stands we had 80/20 mandatory attendance for the first 3 blocks each semester for a class that meets 8-11 monday, 8-12 tuesday, and 8-11 friday. Wednesdays you have mandatory ultrasound in the morning and mandatory small group and patient encounters in the afternoon. Thursday is mandatory opp for 2 horus. if you have above an 80% exam average after the 3rd block you no longer have to go to that class which frees you up a lot but getting an 80% exam average is pretty tough. i would say only 20% of my class got it fall semester.
Thanks for your reply, I am between two houses, one in hattiesburg and one in gulf port. Do you know which location will have more access to close by rotation sites?

Thanks for your reply, I am between two houses, one in hattiesburg and one in gulf port. Do you know which location will have more access to close by rotation sites?
there is a hubsite in hattiesburg, and a hubsite in gulfport, though i personally cannot reccomend living in gulfport during preclinical simply because of the drive. there are also no guarantees that you will get a hubsite in hattiesburg or gulfport.

Thanks for clarifying! So if we include labs (OPP and anatomy), on average how many hours do students spend on campus per day/week?

I saw the COA was around 85-90k. I'm assuming this is an overestimation. I know it'll be different person to person, but how much are current students really taking out?
I did not take the max for the last 2 years. It's very dependent on where you're living and what you know your expenses will be, and how much you're willing to live off of

Thanks for clarifying! So if we include labs (OPP and anatomy), on average how many hours do students spend on campus per day/week?
(For OMS1 only, look at Ellesandra's reply for OMS2 info) If you look at the current schedule that's posted on the website, anything that says CPC or OPP (including lectures) is mandatory and all preclinical integration and FMN labs (not lecture). So Monday is mandatory lecture 1-3, so some people just come for that and go home, and then Tuesday is OPP and CPC lab, so you'll either have them at 8 and 1 or 10 and 3, so most people are there 8-3 or 10-5 on Tuesdays. Wednesday and Thursday it's mostly 1-2 hours. Then we have exams pretty much every Friday. So some people spend like 2 hours everyday and then most of the day on Tuesday. There's also a good amount of people that do a lot of studying at the school after class instead of going home. Personally, I get a lot of work done when I'm at school so I spend 50-60 hours there a week. So some people spend like 20 hours or less and some spend a lot more.

nope there isn't. no hubsite is guaranteed and they potentially add / remove sites every year!
this year there were sites in MS, LA, and one in NY.
Hmm, I see, thank you! Also, for internal class rankings, are we classified for each semester or year? Or is the quartile/rank where you stand when you finish your preclinical years?

Hmm, I see, thank you! Also, for internal class rankings, are we classified for each semester or year? Or is the quartile/rank where you stand when you finish your preclinical years?
each semester

Last edited:
each semester during preclinical but by my understanding your class rank is set once you finish preclinical

I am very interested in many students clubs, what's the recommended number of clubs we can join and do we have to wait after our orientation to become a member?