2023-2024 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone who has interviewed here have any tips regarding the MMI format? Are the interviewers relaxed? I remember reading somewhere it's like 14 minutes for the initial tell me about yourself and stuff station and then 4 minutes for every other station, is this true?
If you check the email confirmation, it details the MMI format

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have many articles and some pinned posts with MMI advice! You got this! Also see if there is any information in the Interviews Feedback Database. There won't be actual questions there but you should get an idea of what to expect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have there been any acceptences?
For VCU specifically from their website: "Early Decision applicants will be notified of the admissions decision by October 1. The first Regular MD acceptance notices will be released on October 16 in accordance with AAMC traffic rules. Offer dates are October 16, December 16, February 1 and March 1."

Reactions: 1 users
For those who interviewed already, did you guys send thank you notes? It’s hard to get interviewers’ information from only their initials.

For those who interviewed already, did you guys send thank you notes? It’s hard to get interviewers’ information from only their initials.
You can send a general thank you note to the admissions office email which would be preferred.

Reactions: 1 user
You can send a general thank you note to the admissions office email which would be preferred.
Is it recommended to upload a thank you note to the application portal or to send the note directly to the dean's email?

Is it recommended to upload a thank you note to the application portal or to send the note directly to the dean's email?
Should make no difference but would recommend sending any updates or thank you emails directly to the dean/ admissions office email. Just for that added visibility bonus (that is in no way proven but feels good nonetheless).

IS II! Completed 8/19. Strong ties to Virginia and VCU so I'm really excited!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well we (those who submitted before maintenance) didn't technically submit on this new portal so hopefully they didn't totally screw this up

IS II! Received 9/1, completed mid-july. WOOHOO first interview so feeling way less of that impostor syndrome :D

R received last night at 9:01 pm EST and I was complete 7/28

Current M1 here. As far as I know, it is blinded for all MMI stations. Shouldn't make a difference for the way you approach this MMI.
Thanks for popping in, I was more of wondering for the initial 12 minute interview which I am assuming is a traditional style?

Thanks for popping in, I was more of wondering for the initial 12 minute interview which I am assuming is a traditional style?
Yup. It is basically an abbreviated traditional interview but I believe the interviewer is still completely blinded. When in doubt, assume they are blinded and go from there. Better to explain yourself than to assume they know things about you.

Yup. It is basically an abbreviated traditional interview but I believe the interviewer is still completely blinded. When in doubt, assume they are blinded and go from there. Better to explain yourself than to assume they know things about you.
Appreciate ya :)

Current M1 here. As far as I know, it is blinded for all MMI stations. Shouldn't make a difference for the way you approach this MMI.
Hey, any chance I could message you with some questions about the interview/university?

Has anyone heard anything from admissions after an interview the week of 8/21? I thought they met the following Monday to decide and either sent a hold or R that day

Has anyone heard anything from admissions after an interview the week of 8/21? I thought they met the following Monday to decide and either sent a hold or R that day
per AAMC traffic rules, the first round of decisions will be released on 10/16. You may get a notification then or just before about a hold. That just means they've met to discuss about you and they may decide to accept you on 10/16 or they may delay it until subsequent decision release dates or if they pass on you until the last release date, they will put you on the waitlist. All of this is assuming you don't get an R after the interview. I believe there's one in Nov, January, and March.

If anyone has any questions, I am a current M1 (rejected from VCU first app and reapplied) and would be happy to answer them. Feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 4 users
I got an email saying my application has been put on hold... anyone have any idea of what that means?

I was put on hold after an interview, anyone have any insight?

I got an email saying my application has been put on hold... anyone have any idea of what that means?

Your file has been evaluated, and while it hasn't been rejected, a final decision can not be communicated due to AAMC policies. Please wait until October 17th to check for an acceptance. If you don't receive one, your file will remain on hold until the next decision dates in December, February, and March.

Your file has been evaluated, and while it hasn't been rejected, a final decision can not be communicated due to AAMC policies. Please wait until October 17th to check for an acceptance. If you don't receive one, your file will remain on hold until the next decision dates in December, February, and March.
Just to confirm, that means we weren't rejected and will either be put on hold or accepted on one of those dates?

Does anyone know how the decisions are ultimately made after interview day? Is it solely based on your interview, or do they take both your interview + primary/secondary application into account?

Does anyone know how the decisions are ultimately made after interview day? Is it solely based on your interview, or do they take both your interview + primary/secondary application into account?
1694653987054.png

Pretty holistic it looks like.

Reactions: 2 users
post-II hold just now, interviewed 9/13

does anyone know if this hold is something they send to most people before an acceptance? or do many people go from radio silence to acceptance?

does anyone know if this hold is something they send to most people before an acceptance? or do many people go from radio silence to acceptance?
It's sent to the vast majority of interviewees (basically if you aren't rejected) since they meet every Monday but only release decisions on specific dates.

Received acceptance letter on Tuesday! (I applied early decision) I would love to get to know my future classmates so if anyone else applied EDP or as regular acceptances are sent out I’d love to talk!

Reactions: 10 users
My application status marked as "your application is ready" vs. "under review". Is there a difference?

I’m in the same boat. I think it means there’s nothing left for you to do, but they haven’t gotten to look at our applications yet…. It’s still pretty early on in the cycle. Unless you applied ED probably nothing to worry about rn. Someone else can correct me if this is wrong tho.

Current student at VCU SOM. Word of advice: ultimately VCU is looking for students who are "kind and smart". You probably have the latter, but the former is where people get weeded out. Just don't be a weirdo during your interviews.

Reactions: 5 users