2023-2024 Rutgers (New Jersey)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it’s something they try to do to promote their efficiency with ED decisions, I wouldn’t say it’s guaranteed esp since it seems like their committee doesn’t meet everyday either
Yeah I believe the committee meets on Thursdays so typically decisions come after Thursday?

Members don't see this ad.

I know interviews start at a certain day so the 48hour thing might not apply to those who submitted super early. Does this mean that now that interviews are being offered, it should be within 48 hours of submission or is it just that they try to do it and not a guaranteed thing.
They saying that they will read your application within 48 hours, not that they will invite you to interview within 48 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary submitted 7/3, interview invite received 7/9, interviewed 7/19 - just for some reference (ED applicant)

Reactions: 1 users
I've been living in my email app ever since I submitted my application. Im terrified of this thing hitting my junk and me not seeing it. Does it come from the njmsapplicant email or will it come from something else. Excuse the neuroticism please.

I've been living in my email app ever since I submitted my application. Im terrified of this thing hitting my junk and me not seeing it. Does it come from the njmsapplicant email or will it come from something else. Excuse the neuroticism please.
it comes from the njmsapplicant one! don’t worry i think everyone understands the stress just make sure to take care of yourself :)

Reactions: 1 user
For the question "If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application? "

It doesn't specify whether this means a reapplicant to NJMS or just in general. If I am a re-applicant, but NOT at NJMS (my first time submitting anything to them), how should I answer this question?

For the question "If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application? "

It doesn't specify whether this means a reapplicant to NJMS or just in general. If I am a re-applicant, but NOT at NJMS (my first time submitting anything to them), how should I answer this question?
I’m giving my best guess here but I would answer it in general. They’re going to see you applied last year from your primaries regardless if it was at NJMS or not; so Id answer it to be safe and speak on what has changed from last cycle.

Submitted ED 7/10, but no response back yet. Should I email/call admissions for an update?

Submitted ED 7/10, but no response back yet. Should I email/call admissions for an update?
do you mean your entire application was submitted 7/10 (Primary, Secondary, LORs, etc). If so, I would wait till Sunday night for an update, otherwise, email them first thing Monday.

Yes, sorry, I meant complete on 7/10. Thanks for the advice!
do you mean your entire application was submitted 7/10 (Primary, Secondary, LORs, etc). If so, I would wait till Sunday night for an update, otherwise, email them first thing Monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh my goodness just got off the phone w the dean! so excited calls are going out good luck everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
When was your app complete and when did you receive the ii if you don't mind me asking?
No problem, my app was complete 7/1 and I got an II the evening of 7/2. I was a reapplicant and got on the priority waitlist last year

got the A! received II 7/9, interviewed the following week. good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
That’s horrifying, I’m an ED applicant completed on 7/17 and still silence. Should I have gotten a deferral already?
I’m not really sure, I would maybe give them a few more days and reach out asking for an update on your app.

That’s horrifying, I’m an ED applicant completed on 7/17 and still silence. Should I have gotten a deferral already?
How do deferrals usually work? Is it email or through the applicant portal? I'm sorry you're feeling stressed out about this, but know that I'm right there commiserating with ya

Many would call them gap years, maybe time to do some volunteering or clinical work they didn’t have time for in college, or time to mature and get ready for med school
What if re-applying - answer both questions #4 and #5? It's basically the same response

how much are people writing for #4 (why did you take a gap year) essay? I feel like I don't have much to say

Anyone else who submitted between 7/14-7/21 get an interview. 7/17 submitter and still waiting.

secondary question:
We recognize that our applicant pool is multidimensional. Please help us learn more about you by sharing any background information you feel is important or that has influenced your lived experiences, educational journey, opportunities, etc.

should we answer this regardless or only if we have something truly significant?

3. If you will not be a full-time student between June 2023 and August 2024, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:

4. If you have chosen to pursue one or more “growth” years prior to your planned matriculation to medical school in 2024, please share insight on your decision

5. If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application?
any tips to differentiate my responses to these prompts?? i feel like there's so much overlap in what I would say

any tips to differentiate my responses to these prompts?? i feel like there's so much overlap in what I would say
For 3 I wrote about what I'll be doing exactly and the time commitment during the gap year.
For 4 I explained WHY I took the gap year.
For 5 I would discuss what changed in your activities since your application (new responsibilities, promotions, etc.), new things you learned, as well as personal growth (more mature, improved emotional intelligence, etc.)

For 3 I wrote about what I'll be doing exactly and the time commitment during the gap year.
For 4 I explained WHY I took the gap year.
For 5 I would discuss what changed in your activities since your application (new responsibilities, promotions, etc.), new things you learned, as well as personal growth (more mature, improved emotional intelligence, etc.)
do you think it's okay to have overlap btwn 4 and 5? for ex, one of the reasons why I took a gap yr was to work on improving my mcat (4) but this could also be used in my answer to 5. or should I try to be more explicit and avoid repeating?