2023-2024 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this is true (m1 here) we do clinical apprenterships where you are paired with a physician at froedoert (the hospital on campus). basically shadowing a specialty you wouldnt have thought of. its why i am now a bit interested in ent when i never thought id be a surgeon outside of obgyn. we do not have nbme exams which kinda sucks tbh but according to m2s our exams are much more step like than the old curriculum plus i guess its nice to not be overly stressed about step 24/7 although thats about to start soon.
Thank you, I just wanted to follow up, so the clinical apprenticeships are these with only one speciality you are assigned to or do you do different specialty each time/ get to choose?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if MCW uses NBME style exams in the new curriculum? Also if the cadavers are prosected or not?
Cadavers are not prosections (prosection: observing a dissection being performed by an experienced anatomist or examining a specimen that has already been dissected by an experienced anatomist).

They use prosections as examples often to reference while you are doing your dissection, but a full head-to-toe dissection is done hands-on throughout your first year (- neuro: it is elective, on your own time option, not facilitated in class due to neuro being covered in "M2," aka end of phase 1)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, I just wanted to follow up, so the clinical apprenticeships are these with only one speciality you are assigned to or do you do different specialty each time/ get to choose?
As of now, it is assigned and the same for all of M1. However, unknown if that will stay the same as they are actively working on taking feedback from the current class to use for future curriculum development. Additionally, the point of the early clinical experience is to learn skills such as taking an H&P and physical exams with real patients, not specialty exploration, which would be phase 2's goal. So, IMO, not super relevant what specialty you get as long as it is one that facilitates you being able to learn those skills.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As of now, it is assigned and the same for all of M1. However, unknown if that will stay the same as they are actively working on taking feedback from the current class to use for future curriculum development. Additionally, the point of the early clinical experience is to learn skills such as taking an H&P and physical exams with real patients, not specialty exploration, which would be phase 2's goal. So, IMO, not super relevant what specialty you get as long as it is one that facilitates you being able to learn those skills.
Thank you for the clarification, this makes sense and I agree with your point!

For anyone waiting on an II, I'm pretty sure the last wave of invites goes out sometime in March (at least that's when I got my invite last year). So there's still time!

Reactions: 15 users
just got an II ; OOS complete on 7/30

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 18 users
have people for friday's (2/16) interview received their zoom info yet? my portal tells me who my interviewers are but I never received an email

Are there any current MCW Milwaukee campus med students here that would be willing to answer a few questions via dm?? I’d appreciate it a lot!

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
still waiting for my zoom link and i'm genuinely worried they just forgot to send it out for me LOL

Did MCW send pre-II Rs yet. I wanted to send a letter of interest to the portal, but I realized I had the wrong school in the greeting when I submitted an update letter back in November. It was a bad mistake on my part :(

Did MCW send pre-II Rs yet. I wanted to send a letter of interest to the portal, but I realized I had the wrong school in the greeting when I submitted an update letter back in November. It was a bad mistake on my part :(

they’ve sent it in waves so far but i don’t think the large batches will really happen until mid march. that’s what happened last year. someone pls correct me if i’m wrong

Hello all, I will be interviewing this week and was wondering if anyone has any general advice for me? I really want to do well so thought I would ask to prepare my best! Thanks in advance! :)

Hello all, I will be interviewing this week and was wondering if anyone has any general advice for me? I really want to do well so thought I would ask to prepare my best! Thanks in advance! :)
Honestly, just be yourself, know your application in and out, and answer confidently. If they’ve selected you for an II, it means they really want you from what they told us during my interview sessions.

• Love
Sent HESP application a long time ago, but still haven't received a response. anyone know when they are choosing/interviewing for HESP?

Are there any current MCW Milwaukee campus med students here that would be willing to answer a few questions via dm?? I’d appreciate it a lot!
If your questions weren't answered already, I'm a M1 and can hopefully answer them! :)

Honestly, just be yourself, know your application in and out, and answer confidently. If they’ve selected you for an II, it means they really want you from what they told us during my interview sessions.
Thank you, I appreciate the advice!! I will try to remember that during the interview so I don't get nervous 😅

Thank you, I appreciate the advice!! I will try to remember that during the interview so I don't get nervous 😅
I totally agree with what was said above! Be yourself, and you'll do great. I also had an experience with my MCW interview where I think the interviewer purposefully tried to rile me up and get a reaction out of me, so I'd suggest keeping an eye out for staying professional and positive no matter what they say. It was a weird experience, she kept asking me if I was ready for the long nights and tough hours, and if that's really what I wanted. I replied with like "yes, I know it's a long road, but I'm really ready for what's ahead" and stuff like that. It went back and forth like that for a while until the interview was a little hostile and skeptical. I brushed it off and stayed respectful and confident, but felt soooo weird after the interview. I guess it went well because I was accepted! lol

Reactions: 2 users
I had a similar experience. . . I thought the interviewer didn't like me lol

• Care
does the 80%+ post II acceptance rate still hold true
Someone asked this and it was answered just the other day. It's only about 20 messages above your message:
does this school still have ~80% post ii acceptance rate 😭
i saw a post stating that this number was not accurate to begin with… so i don’t think so 🥲🥲🥲
they have a high post-II A rate, it was mentioned by AECOM’s and other students during interview day

• Care
sorry i was trying to find this and get more info too. it still seemed unclear my b my b
Sorry didn't mean to be curt. people often don't respond to repeated questions so I just wanted to show you that the response was already there. It looks like the post-II A rate is high, but not quite that high

I totally agree with what was said above! Be yourself, and you'll do great. I also had an experience with my MCW interview where I think the interviewer purposefully tried to rile me up and get a reaction out of me, so I'd suggest keeping an eye out for staying professional and positive no matter what they say. It was a weird experience, she kept asking me if I was ready for the long nights and tough hours, and if that's really what I wanted. I replied with like "yes, I know it's a long road, but I'm really ready for what's ahead" and stuff like that. It went back and forth like that for a while until the interview was a little hostile and skeptical. I brushed it off and stayed respectful and confident, but felt soooo weird after the interview. I guess it went well because I was accepted! lol
Thank you for the advice and for sharing that! Congrats on the A!! Hopefully everything goes smoothly for me also 🙏🙏🙏

Yeah I've heard that MCW doesn't really put TOO much weight on casper as much as most people think

Reactions: 4 users
post-II R. interviewed late Jan. they told us we'd hear back exactly a month after the interview so this was a little early, surprisingly.

post-II R. interviewed late Jan. they told us we'd hear back exactly a month after the interview so this was a little early, surprisingly.
also post ii R/ 01/26. i kind of expected it since one of my interviewers indirectly called me dumb lol; but this still hurts.

• Care
dm'ed! i found their staff and my other interviewers very sweet. i think it was me and the other interviewer. otherwise, i like mcw : " ) '
Don’t worry, chopper is a goated doctor so u will be just like him fellow one piece fan

• Care