This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1189847

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your SGPA? Were any of your withdrawals in the biological sciences? Reading this, I doubt your lack of science classes is the issue unless you need to bring up your SGPA. But I'd be sure this is the issue first before dumping more time and $ into it

I have taken the classes genetics, immunology, microbiology, Biochemistry One, cell and molecular biology, virology, histology, anatomy and Physiology One and two.

I've been rejected from dental schools, and I need to take more classes. AT UCSD, which classes should I take? I'm thinking of medical terminology, pharmacology, clinical hematology, epidemiology, and cancer biology. Is this okay? Should it be more or less than this?

I had disability office issues at UCLA extension and my alma mater, so I'm not going back there.

My undergrad (Physics) GPA was 3.2 with withdrawals and a "D" in Differential Equations, and my master's (Information Systems) GPA was 3.7 but it wasn't biology so I took extra biology classes in addition.

One of the schools I was rejected from told me I needed to get a master's in medical or biomedical science or 10-15 more classes.

When I looked at the degree plan, I had already taken the majority of classes except Application and Skills Workshop, health disparities, ethical, legal, and social issues, intro to Clinical Research, epidemiology, and Pharmacology.
fill out a full wamc template and we can tell more...

Members don't see this ad :)
Date of submission: April 29, 2024
Overall GPA: 3.25
Science GPA: 3.20
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.31
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 13; I can't remember every score and can't login to my account
State of Residence: Texas

Undergrad Attended:
if you want to include this
Major: Physics
Minor: Biology
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad?
Yes, master's in Information Systems (3.70 GPA_

Shadowing Experience: 150 Hours with low income dentists and an HIV dentist
Volunteering Experience: 250 Hours including the VA, American Cancer Society, NCRJ, Medical physicists
Employment: None
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: None
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: Folds of Honor Scholarship
LOR type and strength: HIV dentist, professor at two medical schools, professor who is into research
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I received a 'D' in contempt math, a full withdrawal from second semester of university which led to an academic dismissal, and withdrawal from calculus one. GPA before withdrawal was 2.8 and with was 3.25
you scored a 13 on the DAT?

Yes, and I need to retake it. I also need to see what other classes I should take to improve that area of my application.
how many times have you applied?
what schools did you apply to?
are you ready for a retake?

This is my first time applying to UCLA, USC, and Texas A&M. I was also rejected from their post-bacc programs. The Texas A&M post bacc said I didn't meet complete eligibility due to my DAT score. No, I'm not ready for a retake. No response from UCLA yet.
you applied to only those three schools last cycle?

you applied to only those three schools last cycle?
OP applied DMD and POSTBAC/SMP to the three schools I think. It sounds like you should put that DAT retake on your schedule. But there are more than just those postbac programs out there. You need to find one that can work with you as a predental student.

Last edited:
I'd guess the 13 in the DAT could be alarming to some programs. But you should be able to find one that will accept you. I'm surprised some of the post-baccs require DAT scores, usually, that's more in line with an SMP. These formal post-baccs with alignments in dentistry provide some testing tutoring to guide you on how to take the exam. It's possible you just didn't apply to enough programs. Texas has always been selective over who they admit for anything as well.

For now, I think retaking the exam will be your main priority, as getting a better score will open the door to more opportunities.

Texas A&M is the closest one to me while living at home, UCLA and USC would have been good as a military dependent with them paying for tuition as my home state, but then I just worry about living costs.
what were the other 3?
who is going to pay your tuition in CA?

The other three were their post-bacc programs. Texas A&M post bacc told me to raise my DAT score for admissions and USC didn't reply when I requested feedback on my rejection. The military as a dependent, as long as I go to a public school before I turn 27. For TX tuition, I'm trying to qualify for the HPSP scholarship. Do you think I should take those UCSD classes? I have to improve my GPA according to Texas A&M as well as my DAT score.
USC is not a public school
texas schools are extremely, extremely difficult to get into OOS, even if you have perfect stats
UCLA is almost as difficult too

I am planning on joining the military if I have to for school is something I should clarify for USC. What can I do then? Should I not take the extra classes and only focus on the DAT score? How do people eventually make it through? Go out of state? Apply five years in a row?
improve your DAT score a lot
have a broader and more appropriate school list
HPSP is also extremely competitive, even with perfect stats

Why would a school tell me to take more classes if that's not the area I should focus on, is that to waste time? I'll do that, thank you! There's also the GI Bill.
i'm not saying not to take more classes, especially if you haven't taken science classes since your undergrad days
it's just that scoring 13 on DAT does not give postbacc/special masters programs incentive to work with you...

I finished my undergrad in Dec 2021, then my master's which I finished in Dec 2023. I started taking biology classes in 2022. I have taken classes in genetics, immunology, microbiology, Biochemistry One, cell and molecular biology, virology, histology, anatomy, and Physiology One and two. I'm thinking of medical terminology, pharmacology, clinical hematology, epidemiology, and cancer biology during the summer. Should I take hematology, would that be weird?
how many credits is that?
i'd rather see you take fewer classes and get straight As

That's 30 credits.
Anatomy 1 with lab: C
Anatomy 2 with lab: A
Histology: C
Virology: A
Cell & Mole: A
Biochem: B
Microbio with lab: B
Genetics: A
Immunology: A
30 credits in one summer?
what is considered full time?

30 credits in one summer?
what is considered full time?
how any credits is this
medical terminology, pharmacology, clinical hematology, epidemiology, and cancer biology

Should I take any more classes or just focus on the DAT?
You need to focus on the DAT, even if you took more classes and got all A's, no school is going to take a chance on a 13AA, it's simply too low. The 5th percentile for almost all schools' DAT scores for enrolled students is a 17AA. And the average is almost a 21. You really need to try and get a higher score, so I would mainly focus on significantly improving that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.