This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madamemichaelscott

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't tell from your post how much each of these schools other than Einstein is gonna cost you - please revise.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, Einstein says COL is around 25K according to their website, but other estimates say 35K which makes sense NYC is expensive.

140K for Einstein
212K for Pitt
260 K for Stanford

I feel like Pitt is the best option for you here. Sure it is ~70K more expensive, but it is a stronger program than Einstein at the moment. Wasn't Einstein put on probation last year? I feel like that has been swept under the rug since their free tuition was announced. Maybe they already corrected their shortcomings, idk what is going on with that. I feel like the research infrastructure, the school's stability, nearby family support, and familiarity with the area at Pitt will be beneficial. Plus Pitt has great residency programs in most specialties.

I would only choose Stanford in your situation if you wanted to do a dual degree, like an MBA, or wanted to match in California - as it doesn't seem like you have ties to the west coast? You seem to have a lot of reservations about Stanford, but remember you got into these awesome schools and got these awesome opportunities - you are just as deserving as any other student that got into these schools. Don't feel like you are out of place anywhere you go because of a self determined "lack of qualifications/status". You belong there and make space for yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm, Einstein says COL is around 25K according to their website, but other estimates say 35K which makes sense NYC is expensive.

140K for Einstein
212K for Pitt
260 K for Stanford

I feel like Pitt is the best option for you here. Sure it is ~70K more expensive, but it is a stronger program than Einstein at the moment. Wasn't Einstein put on probation last year? I feel like that has been swept under the rug since their free tuition was announced. Maybe they already corrected their shortcomings, idk what is going on with that. I feel like the research infrastructure, the school's stability, nearby family support, and familiarity with the area at Pitt will be beneficial. Plus Pitt has great residency programs in most specialties.

I would only choose Stanford in your situation if you wanted to do a dual degree, like an MBA, or wanted to match in California - as it doesn't seem like you have ties to the west coast? You seem to have a lot of reservations about Stanford, but remember you got into these awesome schools and got these awesome opportunities - you are just as deserving as any other student that got into these schools. Don't feel like you are out of place anywhere you go because of a self determined "lack of qualifications/status". You belong there and make space for yourself.
I think the provided Einstein COL is accurate - subsidized housing amounts to $500-600/month, and the surrounding area is significantly less expensive than other areas of NYC. 20k-25k is a good estimate. This - alongside the difference in loans interest - is substantial. The probation was for similar reasons that Baylor was put on probation years ago (lack of study spaces, student health options, etc.) that are already corrected/being corrected.

It doesn't seem like you are excited about any school other than Stanford. The cost difference is substantial. Note that there are significant global health opportunities at Einstein, and a lot of your other pros apply to them (1.5 year preclinical, research opportunities, etc.) Regardless, go wherever you feel you would be happiest. If being close to family is the most important factor to you, Pitt is the best option.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.