This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spidyspidy

Reaction score
decided! thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't be concerned about residency directors' view of the Yale system. Looking at Yale's amazing match lists every year, they clearly don't have a problem with it. Of course, Hopkins and Columbia certainly aren't slouches in that department either. At Second Look, I was told that while most Yale students take a 5th year, it's only because they want to and you can still match well without it. I don't have any data on that, but the M4 who said this shared a few examples of recent 4-yr graduates who went to MGH/Stanford residency in competitive specialties.

Reactions: 1 users
Disclosure: A at Hopkins, WL at Yale, no interview at Columbia

Congrats on an amazing cycle! You seriously can't go wrong.

Just posting to say I agree with Dragonite--look at Yale's match list. It's amazing.

I would just go where you feel most at home. You can't go wrong with any of these schools. I just want to make sure you aren't eliminating Yale because you are concerned about matching.

Best of luck in your decision!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All are great choices with prestige being slight to Hopkins then Columbia then Yale imo, but to a point where it will not affect your career trajectory.

One thing I didn't consider when picking a medical school was that you wind up developing a professional network and a strong connection to the area around your medical school which paves a way to get a job there as an attending. Even outside of the 4 years of medical school, where would you most want to practice for/after residency?

Reactions: 1 user
Disclosure: A at Hopkins, WL at Yale, no interview at Columbia

Congrats on an amazing cycle! You seriously can't go wrong.

Just posting to say I agree with Dragonite--look at Yale's match list. It's amazing.

I would just go where you feel most at home. You can't go wrong with any of these schools. I just want to make sure you aren't eliminating Yale because you are concerned about matching.

Best of luck in your decision!
Congrats to you too! You and Dragonite make good points. Definitely don't want to discount Yale because of match reasons, I think my concern is more about the lack of structure and if I would be the best fit for that!

All are great choices with prestige being slight to Hopkins then Columbia then Yale imo, but to a point where it will not affect your career trajectory.

One thing I didn't consider when picking a medical school was that you wind up developing a professional network and a strong connection to the area around your medical school which paves a way to get a job there as an attending. Even outside of the 4 years of medical school, where would you most want to practice for/after residency?
Honestly, I don't have strong preferences. Probably either stay East Coast/Northeast or California, but I feel like any of the 3 schools would have decent connections to both regions.

I don't have a strong opinion on this one (and I went to Harvard, so it's not like I'm a Hopkins shill), but because I have a lot of friends who went to Hopkins, I'll address some of your points about it:

• Seemed like there was a strong focus on clinical training, but students weren’t as involved in interdisciplinary outside interests (narrative medicine, arts, travel for global health, etc.) – not sure if this is just the people I talked to or if the curriculum is more rigid like that?
Not that I necessarily have a representative sample either, but I've met tons of Hopkins med students who have interdisciplinary interests/research/etc. like public health, and bioethics, and music (all of which Hopkins has good schools for).

• Heard rumors that Hopkins students are unhappy and overwhelmed?
Every Hopkins med student I've spoken to says that this is not true. In fact, one of them noted to me how he would sometimes see the undergrads looking so unhappy and was glad that the med school experience was the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.