Menu Icon Search
Close Search

SDN Experts


C- in general chem what to do?

Asked 2 years ago by Guest (120 points)

I initially was on the verge of getting a D in gen chem so my professor advised me  to take the F freshman fall semester this way i could retake the class at my school and it would not be accounted for in my gpa but it would be on my transcript. So i did just that, retook it in the spring and ended up with an awful professor who failed most of the class and I unfortunately ended with a C-.

my next question is, now being a senior in undergrad realizing how awful this must look on my application how should i go about this? do i retake gen chem 1 at a different university to balance out the C-. Are dental schools averaging out the F and the C- already or just looking at the C-?

// Answers //

Answered 2 years ago by free99 (500 points)

AADSAS does not use grade replacement, therefore both grades will be factored into your overall, science, and Bio/Chem/Physics GPA. I think whether you retake this course for a second time or just let it be depends on how your other grades are. If your grades otherwise are very strong (ie, mostly As) then I don't think these F/C- alone will be enough to disqualify you from consideration. If the F/C- is accompanied by a whole slew of mediocre grades (Bs and Cs) then I think you may want to do any/all of the following:

1. Crush the DAT (22AA+)
2. Enroll and excel in an SMP
3. Get a lot of relevant work experience to boost your application
4. Consider an alternative profession

// Related Questions //

  • Pre-medical
  • What to do in Gap Year

  • Asked 5 years ago by Guest (120 points)
  • I am currently completing a joint bs/mph degree at a state flagship ... do the adcoms want to see?...VIEW >

// Have a Question? //

Post your question below and one of our experts will respond.

Ask a Question

// Confidential Expert Answers //

SDN Experts allows you to anonymously ask your question of a panel of health professional experts.

View Expert Bios

// Interested in Joining //

If you are a working medical professional and interested in joining our experts panel, contact us to learn about opportunities.

Contact Us