Menu Icon Search
Close Search

SDN Experts


I am a US citizen, who completed her undergraduate degree in the UK in Economics, and am finishing my post-bacc in the US. Help with degree conversion?

Asked 1 year ago by Guest (120 points)


I am applying to medical school this spring, for admission to the 2019 intake and need some advice about degree conversion. About me:

1. I am a U.S. citizen but I finished my 4 year undergraduate degree in the UK , where I achieved a 2:1 in Economics. A 2:1 roughly equates to a 3.0-3.4 GPA. As the program was highly specialized, I finished with a Masters of Arts degree.
2. I then finished my MSc in the UK with merit. I did not take any science classes during my undergraduate or post-graduate degrees.
3. I moved back to the U.S. and started a post-bacc program. So far, I have completed Gen Bio (I and II), Gen Chem (I and II), Biochem, Organic Chemistry, Physics I, Physics II and have a 3.95 GPA.

How do I go about submitting my undergraduate and post-graduate transcripts to US medical schools? Will they acknowledge an international qualification and is this a disadvantage?

// Answers //

Answered 1 year ago by Pathdocmd (3060 points)

You do not send transcripts to the individual medical schools, but to AMCAS ( The UK grades will not be converted in the AMCAS application, but your post bacc grades are excellent. I think the UK undergrad degree would be helpful by adding diversity to the class. A lot will be riding on your MCAT and the rest of your application (e.g., healthcare experience, volunteering, etc).

// Related Questions //

// Have a Question? //

Post your question below and one of our experts will respond.

Ask a Question

// Confidential Expert Answers //

SDN Experts allows you to anonymously ask your question of a panel of health professional experts.

View Expert Bios

// Interested in Joining //

If you are a working medical professional and interested in joining our experts panel, contact us to learn about opportunities.

Contact Us