Closed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radicalraspberry

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Diversity essays can hit two points: 1) establishing the actual diversity you have and 2) how this would carry over to helping peers / inform your patient care

#3 and 4 hit only point 1. Option 1 & 2 technically hit both points but option 1 ties in more about you as an actual person. Option 4 does too but again, doesn’t hit on both points

All things considered, I’d go with option 1 (dependent on how the part about your grandparents rejecting western medicine is put), followed by option 4

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So growing up with your grandparents outside the US wasn't impactful to you? (Other Impactful Experience)

It was, but I wasn’t disadvantaged during it and the more impactful experience was the adjustment into a new culture, but I thought that’d fit the diversity secondary better since the OIE is more or less a remake of the disadvantaged section?

It was, but I wasn’t disadvantaged during it and the more impactful experience was the adjustment into a new culture, but I thought that’d fit the diversity secondary better since the OIE is more or less a remake of the disadvantaged section?

So adjusting to a new culture was not a disadvantage to you? The "diversity" prompt can come in different ways, such as how you contribute to a school's diversity, not just how you are diverse.

I'm making suggestions that could help you assess your choices differently. You don't need to be "disadvantaged" to write an OIE.

Reactions: 1 user
So adjusting to a new culture was not a disadvantage to you? The "diversity" prompt can come in different ways, such as how you contribute to a school's diversity, not just how you are diverse.

I'm making suggestions that could help you assess your choices differently. You don't need to be "disadvantaged" to write an OIE.

I see, thank you for your advice. I just didn’t want to seem to have a lack of self awareness to describe such a common and relatively insignificant ORM experience compared to disadvantages faced by URM, low income, those with poor health

I see, thank you for your advice. I just didn’t want to seem to have a lack of self awareness to describe such a common and relatively insignificant ORM experience compared to disadvantages faced by URM, low income, those with poor health
Many applicants, especially Asians, are too deferential in believing their life experience is not worth mentioning when it can help their application. Why do Asians have difficulty getting into mainstream leadership positions? Embracing the value of their own story.

I expect 2 for more students.

As for the others, any can work depending on what the actual story is and what you're bringing to the table. Does it bring something new about you to light? What are you trying to say about yourself? People always think they need to focus on ethnicity/gender/sexual or romantic orientation. Think instead about all the other ways you're different from people and what special perspectives you might have.

Lest I forget